Calculating moments of forces/fulcrum PDF file attached

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force at the fulcrum and what forces need to be applied at points A and B in order to keep the bar in equilibrium. It is suggested to use Newton's Second Law and the moment of inertia of the bar about the fulcrum. The possibility of friction at the fulcrum is also mentioned.
mt05
1) see pdf
for question 2 I'm unsure how to calculate the force at the fulcrum since its not in equilibrium. I thought maybe i would add the two forces together, but that doesn't seem right.

2) so this question asks for what forces need to be applied at points A and B and i understand what forces need to be applied at A ( i think ). but at point B wouldn't the fulcrum have to have an equal amount of force pushing up...so 50+20 = 70N...doesn't seem right since the fulcrum isn't centered.

please see pdf attached, thanks in advance

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0002.pdf
    509.8 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For question 2
The statement of the problem is missing, so I assume that the mass of the bar is given. Call it m. You need to write two expressions for Newton's Second Law, ∑F = macm and ∑τ = Ifulcrumα. Here Ifulcrum is the moment of inertia of the bar about the fulcrum.

For question 3, is there friction at the fulcrum? If no, then it seems that you have put in the right forces. It is assumed that the fulcrum provides whatever force is necessary to keep the bar at equilibrium.*** On edit ***
Are we to assume that gravity acts on this bar?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating moments of forces/fulcrum PDF file attached

1. What is a moment of force?

A moment of force, also known as torque, is the measure of the ability of a force to rotate an object around an axis. It is dependent on the magnitude of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the axis.

2. How do you calculate the moment of force?

The moment of force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis of rotation. Mathematically, it can be represented as M = F x d, where M is the moment of force, F is the force, and d is the distance from the axis.

3. What is the significance of the fulcrum in calculating moments of force?

The fulcrum is the point around which an object can rotate. It is essential in calculating moments of force because the distance from the fulcrum to the point where the force is applied determines the magnitude of the moment of force.

4. How do you determine the direction of the moment of force?

The direction of the moment of force is determined by the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the force, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the moment of force.

5. Can moments of force be balanced?

Yes, moments of force can be balanced when the sum of all the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of all the counterclockwise moments. This is known as the principle of moments and is commonly used in statics and engineering applications.