Calculating Moment of Force on Bicycle Pedal

In summary, this conversation is about calculating the moment of force when the crank is horizontal, and it turns out that the moment of force is the same no matter how the crack is turned below the horizontal.
Googl
Hi,

I have a practice question. I have managed to calculate part of it and one last bit I haven't been able to. Hoping you can give me some ideas.

I am given a bicycle pedal that is a some distance long and has been pushed downwards by a given force. Here I have been able to calculate the moment of force when the crank is horizontal but not when the crack us turned a certain degrees below the horizontal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horizontal distance from pedal to crankshaft is the distance you need.

sophiecentaur said:
Horizontal distance from pedal to crankshaft is the distance you need.

So, the moment of force will remain the same no matter when the crack has been turned 65 degree below the horizontal?

Yes it will. The horizontal distance from the force of your weight gets less and less as the crank goes from the horizontal, 'till it gets to zero when you are at the bottom.
taking the angle from the horizontal, the moment will be W L cos(angle).

sophiecentaur said:
Yes it will.
I think you meant "No it won't."

Oh no it won't/ Oh yes it will. Durrr
I may be sleepy but the maths is correct! and no it won't. (Thanks)

sophiecentaur said:
Yes it will. The horizontal distance from the force of your weight gets less and less as the crank goes from the horizontal, 'till it gets to zero when you are at the bottom.
taking the angle from the horizontal, the moment will be W L cos(angle).

Thanks for the help.

What does W and L stand for?

W-the Weight or Force acting
L- IS the distance through which it acts at
cos (0) - the angle through L the weight is acting

Googl said:
What does W and L stand for?

If you want to learn about these things it's a good idea to read Wikipedia etc. and not just rely on these answers. Self help is good for you, which is why you often get 'partial' answers on this forum, initially.

sophiecentaur said:
If you want to learn about these things it's a good idea to read Wikipedia etc. and not just rely on these answers. Self help is good for you, which is why you often get 'partial' answers on this forum, initially.

I have a good understanding and I am currently expanding on that knowledge, I am assuming this is why forums exist. I didn't expect to get the real answers just some clues. I study maths mostly W could stand for width and L could stand for length. So you can see my previous need to confirm this.

I actually had an idea for the answer but just wanted to confirm.

Would it be too much to ask you to look up the formula and see just what my two letters could possibly stand for? I thought the cos(angle) was the only thing necessary to point out. Now . . . . what could the other two letters, in your wildest dreams, represent? (Bearing in mind we're discussing Moments.)

Related to Calculating Moment of Force on Bicycle Pedal

1. What is the moment of force on a bicycle pedal?

The moment of force on a bicycle pedal, also known as torque, is the measure of the rotational force applied to the pedal. It is the product of the force applied to the pedal and the distance from the point of rotation (fulcrum) to the point where the force is applied.

2. Why is it important to calculate the moment of force on a bicycle pedal?

Calculating the moment of force on a bicycle pedal is important because it helps determine the amount of effort required to pedal the bike. It also affects the speed and efficiency of the bike, as well as the overall performance and comfort of the rider.

3. How do you calculate the moment of force on a bicycle pedal?

The moment of force on a bicycle pedal can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the pedal by the length of the pedal crank arm (distance from the center of the pedal to the center of the crank). This can be represented by the equation: Torque = Force x Distance.

4. What factors can affect the moment of force on a bicycle pedal?

The moment of force on a bicycle pedal can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the rider, the gear ratio, the terrain, and the position of the rider's feet on the pedals. Additionally, the length and angle of the pedal crank arm can also impact the moment of force.

5. How can the moment of force on a bicycle pedal be increased?

The moment of force on a bicycle pedal can be increased by applying a greater force on the pedal or by increasing the length of the pedal crank arm. Additionally, using a lower gear ratio or pedaling at a higher cadence (rate of pedaling) can also increase the moment of force on the pedal.