Calculating Molarity of Cr(III) Sulfate and Sulfate Ion

In summary, a 21.76g sample of Cr(III) Sulfate is dissolved in water to make 500.0 mL of solution. 10.00 mL of this solution is taken and diluted to 250.0mL to calculate the molarity of Cr(III) Sulfate in the original solution. The molarity of sulfate ion in the diluted solution can be calculated by using the equation 12.2, where the final volume is 250.0mL. The final volume is given in the problem description, so there is no need to use density calculations.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

21.76g Cr(III) Sulfate is dissolved in enough water to give 500.0 mL of solution. 10.00 mL of this solution is pipetted into a 250.0mL volumatric flask and diluted to the mark.

a) Calculate the molarity of Cr(III) Sulfate in original solution
b) Calculate the molarity of sulfate ion in the diluted solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out a) but I'm having trouble with b) where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it, what's the final and initial volumes for this problem? And for the molarity, would it be the one I solved for in a) ?

Zhalfirin88 said:
I don't get it, what's the final and initial volumes for this problem? And for the molarity, would it be the one I solved for in a) ?

Those are literally in the problem description.

symbolipoint said:
Those are literally in the problem description.

That doesn't help.

The link he posted said the final volume is the sum of all volumes. Now, the sum of all what volumes? In class, there hasn't been a single mention of densities so I don't understand your link.

From the question: you take 10 mL of the solution and add enough pure water to fill it up to 250 mL. What is the final volume?

Note: densities are used when you are not given final volume and you have to calculate it. In your case final volume is given verbatim in the question so you can use equation 12.2 from the linked page, no need to go any further.

--

Related to Calculating Molarity of Cr(III) Sulfate and Sulfate Ion

What is molarity and why is it important in calculating Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute dissolved in a liter of solution. It is important in calculating Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion because it allows us to accurately determine the amount of these substances present in a solution.

How do I calculate the molarity of Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion?

To calculate the molarity of a solution, you divide the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. In the case of Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion, you will need to know the molar mass of each substance and the volume of the solution.

What is the molar mass of Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion?

The molar mass of Cr(III) sulfate is 296.1 g/mol, while the molar mass of sulfate ion is 96.1 g/mol. These values are necessary for calculating the molarity of the substances in solution.

Can I use any solvent to calculate the molarity of Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion?

No, the solvent used in the calculation of molarity should be water. This is because molarity is only applicable to solutions where water is the solvent.

What are some factors that can affect the molarity of Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion in solution?

The molarity of a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes. Additionally, the solubility of Cr(III) sulfate and sulfate ion can also impact the molarity of the solution.