Calculating Min Δv for a Comet to Intersect Earth's Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of Δv required to move a comet into an orbit that intersects the Earth's orbit. The equation for this value is given by delta v min = vo[1- root(2/(1+a))]. The participants also mention using conservation of energy and angular momentum to solve the problem, and refer to the Hohmann transfer orbit as a possible solution. However, no complete derivation or solution is provided.
bon

Homework Statement

A comet in a circular orbit around the Sun has speed v0 and radius r0 = aRE ,
where RE is the radius of the Earth’s orbit and α is a constant > 1. The comet has its
velocity reduced by Δv in a collision that does not change its initial direction. Show
that the minimum value of Δv required to move the comet into an orbit which intersects
the Earth’s orbit is given by

delta v min = vo[1- root(2/(1+a))]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what the neatest way to proceed is?

Im guessing we look at energy and angular momentum..

after the collision, total energy is 1/2 m(vo - delta v)^2 - PE (which is unchanged)..

But when i put this into the Ellipse equation for energy i.e. E = 1/2m(dr/dt)^2 + J^2/... etc

and set dr/dt = 0 and J = mRe(vo-deltav)..i get everything cancelling out and leaving vo^2 = GM/Re..

not sure what I am meant to do basically!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Classic Hohmann transfer orbit. You're trying to get what's known as the vis-visa orbit. Here's an example that will help, but not give you the answer. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

Mindscrape said:
Classic Hohmann transfer orbit. You're trying to get what's known as the vis-visa orbit. Here's an example that will help, but not give you the answer. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

Thanks..this was useful - but it lacked a derivation of the delta v expressions...

how can i work this out using conservation of energy and momentum?

Thanks

Right, that's the question, how can you work that out using conservation laws? :p

I hate to be so hard up for information, but maybe you could post some more work so I could tell you where you went wrong.

Related to Calculating Min Δv for a Comet to Intersect Earth's Orbit

What is Δv and why is it important in calculating a comet's intersect with Earth's orbit?

Δv, or delta-v, is the change in velocity required for an object to move from one position to another in space. In the context of calculating a comet's intersect with Earth's orbit, Δv is important because it determines the amount of energy needed to alter the comet's trajectory and make it intersect with Earth's orbit.

What factors are involved in calculating the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit?

The minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit depends on several factors, including the comet's initial velocity and trajectory, Earth's orbital velocity, and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies in the solar system. These factors must be taken into account when calculating the minimum Δv required for a comet to intersect with Earth's orbit.

How is the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit calculated?

The minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the factors mentioned above. Scientists use complex mathematical models and simulations to calculate the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit with a high degree of accuracy.

Can the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit be reduced?

Yes, the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit can be reduced by taking advantage of gravitational assists from other celestial bodies, such as planets or moons. This technique involves using the gravitational pull of these bodies to alter the comet's trajectory and reduce the amount of Δv needed for it to intersect with Earth's orbit.

Why is it important to accurately calculate the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit?

Accurately calculating the minimum Δv for a comet to intersect Earth's orbit is important for predicting potential comet impacts and ensuring the safety of Earth's inhabitants. By understanding the minimum Δv required for a comet to intersect with Earth's orbit, scientists can make more accurate predictions about the likelihood of a comet impact and take appropriate measures to prevent or mitigate it.