Calculating measurement probabilities for the CHSH game

In summary: X This is different from the operation you would use to write out the X gate in a quantum logic circuit:X gate:output state --> XIn summary, the author is working through a problem in Exercise 3.5.11 on page 100 of the Quantum Shannon Theory text on the arXiv. He is frustrated because he does not understand how to solve the problem. He has tried several different approaches and has not been successful. He has tried working out each of the measurement operators on a case by case basis and then taking the expectation value of the projectors, but this does not work. He has
wantumWATchanix
Hi All,

First, the context for this question can be found in Wilde's Quantum Shannon Theory text on the arXiv, specifically the section starting at the bottom of page 98, entitled "Entanglement in the CHSH Game". My particular question relates to Exercise 3.5.11 on page 100 of the same document... I am working through this book independently and have moved well beyond this point, but frustratingly still can't solve the seemingly simple exercise 3.5.11, and I think it's because I'm missing something basic about how to calculate probabilities of the different outcomes!

My understanding: Alice and Bob share a maximally entangled Bell state, |φ+> = 1/sqrt(2) [|00> + |11>]. We are given Alice and Bob's measurement strategies for each possible scenario and asked to show that their winning probability is cos2(pi/8), the well-known result of the chsh experiment... If Alice gets x=0 from the ref, she will measure the Z operator (phase flip in the computational basis) and return the result as "a", if she gets x=1 she will measure the X operator (a NOT operation in the computational basis) and return the result as "a". For Bob, upon receiving y=0 he will measure 1/sqrt(2) [ X+Z ] and for y=1 he will measure 1/sqrt(2) [ Z - X ], returning the result as "b" in each case.

Alice and Bob "win" if aXORb = xANDy, where x and y are 0 or 1, uniformly chosen by the ref. It's straightforward to see that this only holds when Alice and Bob each return a 0 or each return a 1 for three of the four cases. For the final case, corresponding to 1AND1 we need Alice and Bob to return opposite pairs, (0,1) or (1,0).

My approach (definitely wrong) has been to take each of the four cases, form the tensor product in terms of computational basis operators (not matrices), and separate the resulting operator into measurement operators that result in the different possible outcomes. For example, if Alice and Bob both receive x=y=0, the global measurement operator is

Z⊗(1/√2)(X+Z) = (1/√2)(|0><0| - |1><1|)⊗(|1><0| + |0><1| + |0><0| - |1><1|)
= (1/√2) [ (|00><00| + |00><01|) + (|11><11| - |11><10|) + (|01><00| - |01><01|) - (|10><10| + |10><11|)]
= (1/√2) [ M1 + M2 + M3 - M4]

It's easy to check that these measurement operators, while not projectors, "resolve" the Bell basis:

ΣMiMi = IBell

So I thought that, to find the probability that Alice and Bob collectively return 00 or 11 would just be the sum of the probabilities for M1 and M2 above, namely <φ+|M1+>, and for M2, but this gives the mixed result of 1/2...

Should I instead be performing local measurements only, as in en. 4.123 of pg 127 of the document? This approach seems to get me closer, but still gives trouble.

Thanks for taking the time!

Last edited:
The most direct way I know to obtain this answer is just to carefully write out all the projection operators on a case by case basis.

For example, if x=y=0 so that (x AND y) = 0 then the win conditions are a=b=0 or a=b=1 so that (a XOR b) = 0. Since x=y=0 Alice and Bob are measuring Z and (Z+X) respectively. a=0 corresponds to Z=1 and a=1 corresponds to Z=-1 and similarly with Bob.

The projector onto the subspace consisting of a=b=0 and a=b=1 is given by $$ P_{x=0,y=0} = \left(\frac{1-Z}{2}\right)\left(\frac{1 - \frac{Z+X}{\sqrt{2}}}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{1+Z}{2}\right)\left(\frac{1 + \frac{Z+X}{\sqrt{2}}}{2}\right). $$

The probability to win with x=y=0 is then $$ p_{x=0,y=0} = \langle \Phi^+ | P_{x=0,y=0}|\Phi^+\rangle.$$

Working out the analogous projectors for the other combinations of x and y and taking the expectation value gives the probabilities of a win [itex] p_{x,y}[/itex].

The total probability of winning is then $$ \frac{1}{4} \sum_{x,y} p_{x,y} $$ because each x and y occurs probability 1/2. If you do everything right you should get the desired answered (I just checked it myself). As a computational hint, it helps to first add up all the projectors before taking the expectation value. Symmetry is also very helpful.

Hope this helps.

wantumWATchanix said:
... If Alice gets x=0 from the ref, she will measure the Z operator (phase flip in the computational basis) and return the result as "a", if she gets x=1 she will measure the X operator (a NOT operation in the computational basis) and return the result as "a". ...

I'm not sure if you already know this or not or are making this mistake or not.

One of the mistakes I made when learning this stuff was confusing the operator of an observable with the operation you would place in a quantum logic circuit to evaluate the observation. For example, if you want to measure the observable defined by X, you use an H gate instead of an X gate because that's the correct change of basis:

Code:
Measuring the X axis:

input state --H--•--H--> "collapsed" state
                 |
          0 -----⊕-----> measurement result

Related to Calculating measurement probabilities for the CHSH game

1. How is the measurement probability calculated for the CHSH game?

The measurement probability for the CHSH game is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of the two players choosing their respective measurement settings and then adding the probabilities of the two possible outcomes for each measurement setting. This calculation is repeated for all four possible measurement settings, and the resulting probabilities are summed to give the overall measurement probability for the game.

2. What are the possible measurement settings in the CHSH game?

The CHSH game involves two players, Alice and Bob, who each have two possible measurement settings: A and B. This results in a total of four possible measurement settings: AA, AB, BA, and BB.

3. How does entanglement affect the measurement probabilities in the CHSH game?

In the CHSH game, entanglement can result in a violation of the classical limit for measurement probabilities. This means that the measurement probabilities calculated using quantum mechanics may be higher than the maximum possible probabilities that can be achieved using classical means.

4. What are the factors that can impact the measurement probabilities in the CHSH game?

The measurement probabilities in the CHSH game can be impacted by several factors, including the choice of measurement settings, the entanglement between the two particles, and any external interference or noise in the system. Additionally, the specific quantum states of the particles can also affect the measurement probabilities.

5. How are the measurement probabilities used to determine the violation of Bell's inequality in the CHSH game?

The measurement probabilities in the CHSH game are used to calculate the CHSH value, which is then compared to the classical limit of 2. If the CHSH value is greater than 2, it indicates a violation of Bell's inequality and supports the idea that quantum mechanics allows for correlations between distant particles that cannot be explained by classical means.