Calculating Maximum Speed and Acceleration for an Amusement Park Ride

In summary, the amusement park ride has a limited centripetal acceleration so the max tangential speed is 1.41 m/s. If the tangential speed is doubled, the new acceleration is 2.06 m/s.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

An amusement park ride carries riders in a horizontal circle with radius 5m.

1) If the centripetal acc. is limited to .4 g for safety, what is the max tangential speed?
2) If the tangential speed is doubled, what is the new acceleration?

Homework Equations

A= v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

1) (.4g(5m))^(1/2)
max speed = 1.41 m/s

2) A = 2root2 m/s / 5m = 1.6 m/s^2

Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

1) If the centripetal acc. is limited to .4 g for safety, what is the max tangential speed?

Homework Equations

A= v^2/r

1) (.4g(5m))^(1/2)
max speed = 1.41 m/s

Does this look right?

Yep.

OK!
I wasn't sure because the next problem refers to a bike traveling around a circular curve and asks for acceleration. I was going to do the same thing, but there's a note next to the question that says "Remember this is a vector!". Why is that a vector and not this?

veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

A= v^2/r

1) (.4g(5m))^(1/2)
max speed = 1.41 m/s

I don't believe this is correct; I think you forgot to multiply by the factor of g.

Does this look right?

The acceleration started out as (0.4 g) which is about 4m/s^2, and increasing the speed will not make the acceleration decrease.

I see. Using 9.8 m/s^2 for g, I get 19.6^(1/2) m/s for part 1 and 15.68 m/s^2 for part 2.
Still don't understand the next question. How can I calculate acceleration on a curve as a vector?

veronicak5678 said:
I see. Using 9.8 m/s^2 for g, I get 19.6^(1/2) m/s for part 1 and 15.68 m/s^2 for part 2.
Still don't understand the next question. How can I calculate acceleration on a curve as a vector?

He's right. I missed the g. Sorry.

As to the acceleration that's given by v2/r but it's radially directed. If the tangential speed is also accelerating then the value of the tangential acceleration is a vector that is added to the radially directed centripetal acceleration.The resultant vector is then directed at an angle to the radius.

Btw: the first one is a vector too. It's radial. The question though was only concerned with its magnitude.

Last edited:
Um, not sure I get all that.
This problem deals with constant speed, so I assume the tangential speed is not increasing.

It says " A bike travels around a circular curve of radius 80m at a constant speed of 10 m/s.
1) Calculate the bike's acceleration.
2) The bike slows uniformly to rewst in 6 seconds. Calculate the tangential acceleration component.
3) The instant the bike is traveling 8 m/s, determine total acceleration.

veronicak5678 said:
Um, not sure I get all that.
This problem deals with constant speed, so I assume the tangential speed is not increasing.

It says " A bike travels around a circular curve of radius 80m at a constant speed of 10 m/s.
1) Calculate the bike's acceleration.
2) The bike slows uniformly to rest in 6 seconds. Calculate the tangential acceleration component.
3) The instant the bike is traveling 8 m/s, determine total acceleration.

In the first part, you calculate the the V2/r as before.

In the second part the tangential is slowing so there is also a (-) tangential acceleration. This is a vector too.

The third part is asking you when the V is 8, and it's slowing at the negative tangential rate, what is the sum of those 2 vectors. Since the tangential is negative it will be trailing the radial vector at an angle.

Last edited:
OK, I think I get it. I'm going to go take a break before I try this. Thanks a lot for helping!

Related to Calculating Maximum Speed and Acceleration for an Amusement Park Ride

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the speed of the object and the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is its mass, and a is its acceleration.

What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a centripetal force, which is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle. This force can be provided by a variety of sources, such as tension in a string, gravity, or friction.

Is centripetal acceleration constant?

No, centripetal acceleration is not constant. It changes as the object moves along its circular path, as the speed and direction of the object's motion changes. However, the direction of centripetal acceleration is always towards the center of the circle.

What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly related. As the magnitude of the centripetal force increases, the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration also increases. This is because the force is responsible for accelerating the object towards the center of the circle.