Calculating Mass of a Subset in SO(n) Using Definite Integrals

In summary, The person is looking for help in finding the total mass of a specific subset of \mathbf{SO}(n) with respect to the Haar measure. They provide some details about the problem and mention that they are a novice. Another person offers a general strategy for approaching the problem, which involves finding convenient parameters for the group, the Haar measure in terms of those parameters, and the region of integration. The person thanks them for their help.
jimbo11
I'm wrestling with this problem and I'd appreciate any pointers anyone can give me. (I've tried Google, but no luck.)

I'm trying to figure out the total mass, with respect to the Haar measure I guess, that's accounted for by a definite subset of [itex]\mathbf{SO}(n)[/itex]. Specifically, working in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], we're given a minimum and maximum rotation between each pair of coordinates: say [itex]\theta_{12} \in \left[ \underline{a}, \overline{a} \right] [/itex], [itex] \theta_{13} \in \left[ \underline{b}, \overline{b} \right][/itex] and so on. If we call the rectangle bounded by those limits [itex] \Theta [/itex], I need to work out [itex] \int_\Theta dO(\vec{\theta})[/itex].

I'm a novice at this, so any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what the exact subset you need to find the size of is. But the general strategy should be as follows:

i) Find some convenient parameters for the group (or part of it).
ii) Find the Haar measure in terms of those parameters.
iii) Identify the region of integration in terms of these parameters.
iv) Integrate!

The choice in (i) will probably be mostly motivated by trying to make the form of the region in (iii) simple.

Fair enough. Thanks!

Related to Calculating Mass of a Subset in SO(n) Using Definite Integrals

1. What is a definite integral over SO(n)?

A definite integral over SO(n) is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve of a function defined on a special orthogonal group, denoted by SO(n). This group consists of all n-dimensional rotations in Euclidean space. The definite integral over SO(n) is used to find the total change of a quantity over a fixed interval, and is represented by the symbol ∫SO(n).

2. How is a definite integral over SO(n) different from a regular definite integral?

A definite integral over SO(n) is different from a regular definite integral in that it involves integration over a group rather than a traditional interval on the real number line. This means that the limits of integration are not defined by numbers, but rather by elements of the special orthogonal group SO(n).

3. What is the purpose of calculating a definite integral over SO(n)?

The purpose of calculating a definite integral over SO(n) is to determine the total change of a quantity or the area under a curve of a function defined on a special orthogonal group. This concept is widely used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving rotation, such as in mechanics and robotics.

4. How is the value of a definite integral over SO(n) determined?

The value of a definite integral over SO(n) is determined by using techniques such as Riemann sums, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and change of variables. These methods allow us to evaluate the definite integral and find its numerical value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of definite integrals over SO(n)?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of definite integrals over SO(n). Some examples include calculating the total angular displacement of a rotating object, finding the work done by a force acting on a rotating object, and determining the rotational energy of a spinning object. These applications are important in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.