Calculating Main Sequence Lifetime.

In summary, the main sequence lifetime of a 10-M\odot star with a luminosity of 104L\odot and 10% of its mass converted from hydrogen to helium in the core can be calculated using the formula tms\approx\frac{M}{L}. Using the given values, the converted material can sustain the luminosity for approximately 5 years, which may be a plausible answer. The end state of this star is not mentioned in the conversation.
adwodon
1. Calculate the main sequence lifetime in years of a 10-M[tex]\odot[/tex] star if it has luminosity of 104L[tex]\odot[/tex] and 10% of its mass will be converted from hydrogen to helium in the core. What will the end state of this star be?

Ok so I wasn't really sure what to put for working here as I have no idea where to begin, I've been searching around for a forumla or something to calculate the lifetime but my lecturers notes are very vague and not helpful at all and numerous different google searches haven't helped in giving me a straight answer.

I found this formula somewhere but it doesn't make sense to me:

tms[tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\frac{M}{L}[/tex]

Its part of a larger question involving the Hertzsprung Russell diagram which I've done however this bit I am totally stumped, if any of you guys could point me in the right direction or explain it to me i'd really appreciate it.

Oh and I should point out this is from a past paper, the only relevant information I could imagine is given to help on the front of the paper is (excluding the standards like Planck / speed of light etc):

Solar mass: 2x1030kg
Solar Bolometric Luminosity: 3.9x1026W

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so I used E=mc^2 and got the total energy of the converted material as 6x10^38J
Which would sustain that luminosity for 5 years...

Thats roughly the same answer I got from the equation in my original post but I thought it was wrong because 5 years seems waaaaay too short.

Is that a plausible answer?

Last edited:

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration with vague lecture notes and conflicting information online. However, let me try to explain the formula you found and how to calculate the main sequence lifetime of a star.

The formula you found, tms\approx\frac{M}{L}, is actually the correct one to use in this case. Let me break it down for you:

- tms stands for the main sequence lifetime, which is what we are trying to calculate.
- M stands for the mass of the star, which is given as 10 M\odot (10 times the mass of our Sun).
- L stands for the luminosity of the star, which is given as 104L\odot (104 times the luminosity of our Sun).

So, to calculate the main sequence lifetime, we simply need to divide the mass of the star by its luminosity. This gives us a result of 10 M\odot / 104L\odot = 10,000 years. This means that the star will spend approximately 10,000 years on the main sequence before evolving into a different stage.

Now, let's talk about the end state of this star. Based on the given information, we know that 10% of its mass will be converted from hydrogen to helium in the core. This means that the star will eventually run out of hydrogen fuel and start fusing helium in its core. It will then expand and become a red giant star. After this stage, the exact end state will depend on the mass of the star. If it is less than 8 M\odot, it will eventually become a white dwarf. If it is between 8-10 M\odot, it will become a neutron star. And if it is more than 10 M\odot, it will become a black hole.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to calculate the main sequence lifetime and the end state of a star. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Calculating Main Sequence Lifetime.

What is the definition of "Main Sequence Lifetime"?

The main sequence lifetime is the length of time that a star spends on the main sequence stage of its life cycle. This is the longest stage in a star's life, during which it fuses hydrogen in its core to produce energy.

How is the main sequence lifetime calculated?

The main sequence lifetime can be calculated using the star's mass and luminosity. This is done by using the mass-luminosity relationship, which states that the more massive a star is, the more luminous it will be. By knowing the luminosity of a star, we can estimate its age and therefore its main sequence lifetime.

What factors affect the main sequence lifetime of a star?

The main sequence lifetime of a star is primarily determined by its mass. The more massive a star is, the more fuel it has to burn and the longer it will stay on the main sequence. Other factors that can affect the main sequence lifetime include the star's composition, temperature, and rotation rate.

Why is the main sequence lifetime important to study?

The main sequence lifetime is important to study because it can provide valuable insights into the evolution of stars and the universe as a whole. By understanding the main sequence lifetime, we can learn more about the characteristics and behaviors of different types of stars, as well as the formation and development of galaxies.

Can the main sequence lifetime be altered or extended?

The main sequence lifetime of a star is a natural process that cannot be altered or extended. However, there are certain factors that can affect the rate at which a star consumes its fuel, such as its rotation rate and composition. Additionally, some stars may undergo processes such as mass transfer or mergers with other stars, which can alter their main sequence lifetime.