Calculating Magnetic Force for Homework Assignments

In summary, calculating magnetic force for homework assignments involves using the formula F = qvB sin(theta) to find the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule, and the magnitude of the force can be calculated by plugging in the values for charge, velocity, and magnetic field strength. This calculation is commonly used in physics and engineering courses to understand the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.
Cici2017

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 2.53.37 pm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes
But it would be good if you'd shown how you got it.

I can never remember LHR and RHR, so I find these a useful aide memoire

Fields&Wires.png

Merlin3189 said:
I can never remember LHR and RHR, so I find these a useful aide memoire

View attachment 208175
Thank you! :wink:

Related to Calculating Magnetic Force for Homework Assignments

1. How do I calculate the magnetic force between two objects?

The formula for calculating magnetic force is F = (q1 * q2 * u0) / (4 * pi * r^2), where q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, u0 is the permeability of free space, and r is the distance between the objects.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic force?

Magnetic force is measured in newtons (N).

3. How does distance affect the magnetic force between two objects?

The magnetic force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate magnetic force for all types of magnets?

No, the formula for calculating magnetic force only applies to point charges. For other types of magnets, such as bar magnets or electromagnets, you will need to use different formulas.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the magnetic force between two objects?

Yes, in addition to the distance between the objects, the strength of the magnetic field, the direction of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the objects can also affect the magnetic force.