Calculating Luminous Flux: Solving for Total Light Output in a Room

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the total luminous flux falling on all the walls and floor of a room with an isotropic point source of 100 candela fixed to the ceiling. The solution is obtained by multiplying the luminous intensity and the total solid angle subtended by the walls and floor, which is 2(pi) steradians. However, there is a correction that the walls and floor only subtend a hemispherical solid angle of (pi) steradians, resulting in a total luminous flux of 628 lumens. The conversation also touches on the difference between radians and steradians as units of angle.
Amith2006
Please help me with this problem.
# An isotropic point source of 100 candela is fastened to the ceiling of a room. What is the total luminous flux falling on all the walls and floor?
I solved it in the following way:
Here Luminous intensity(I) = 100 cd, Total solid angle(w) = 2 (pi) steradian
Total luminous flux falling on all the walls and floor = I x w
= 100 x 2(pi)
= 100 x 2 x 3.14
= 628 lumens
Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
Please help me with this problem.
# An isotropic point source of 100 candela is fastened to the ceiling of a room. What is the total luminous flux falling on all the walls and floor?
I solved it in the following way:
Here Luminous intensity(I) = 100 cd, Total solid angle(w) = 2 (pi) steradian
Total luminous flux falling on all the walls and floor = I x w
= 100 x 2(pi)
= 100 x 2 x 3.14
= 628 lumens
Is it right?
The walls and floor subtend a solid angle of [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]2\pi[/itex].

AM

Andrew Mason said:
The walls and floor subtend a solid angle of [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]2\pi[/itex].

AM
I thought the walls and the floor subtended a hemispherical solid angle at the ceiling. Could you please explain how the solid angle is (pi)? :confused:

Amith2006 said:
I thought the walls and the floor subtended a hemispherical solid angle at the ceiling. Could you please explain how the solid angle is (pi)? :confused:
How many radians in half a circle?

Hootenanny said:
How many radians in half a circle?
There are (pi) radians in a half circle. But I think there are 4(pi) steradians in a sphere. So there are 2(pi) steradians in a hemisphere.
Solid angle(w) = Area of hemisphere/R^2
= [2(pi)R^2]/R^2
= 2(pi) steradians

I think radian is a 2 dimensional unit whereas steradian is a 3 dimensional unit of angle. I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Amith2006 said:
There are (pi) radians in a half circle. But I think there are 4(pi) steradians in a sphere. So there are 2(pi) steradians in a hemisphere.
Solid angle(w) = Area of hemisphere/R^2
= [2(pi)R^2]/R^2
= 2(pi) steradians

I think radian is a 2 dimensional unit whereas steradian is a 3 dimensional unit of angle. I may be wrong.
No. You are right. A sphere subtends [itex]4\pi[/itex] steridians, so the hemisphere is [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Sorry about confusing you.

AM

That's ok. Thanks.

Related to Calculating Luminous Flux: Solving for Total Light Output in a Room

1. What is luminous flux?

Luminous flux is the measure of the total amount of visible light emitted by a source per unit of time. It is measured in lumens (lm) and is used to quantify the brightness of a light source.

2. What is the difference between luminous flux and luminous intensity?

Luminous intensity is the amount of light emitted by a source in a specific direction, while luminous flux measures the total amount of light emitted in all directions. In other words, luminous intensity measures the concentration of light, while luminous flux measures the total output.

3. How is luminous flux related to illuminance?

Luminous flux is related to illuminance, which is the amount of light that falls on a surface. The higher the luminous flux of a light source, the higher the illuminance will be on a given surface.

4. What factors affect luminous flux?

Luminous flux can be affected by factors such as the type of light source, the temperature of the source, and any external factors that may affect the transmission of light, such as dust or humidity.

5. How is luminous flux measured?

Luminous flux is typically measured using a photometer, which measures the intensity of light at various wavelengths. The results are then converted to lumens to determine the total luminous flux of a light source.