Calculating Luminosity from Brightness: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses using an equation to solve for the luminosity of Gliese 581 using its brightness. The equation used is F = (L/(4*pi*r^2)), with F representing the flux, L representing the luminosity, and r representing the distance to the star. However, when inputting the known values, the resulting answer is significantly different from the expected answer of 6.38 * 10^24 watts. This discrepancy may be due to using different units for absolute brightness and flux. The absolute brightness of 11.6 needs to be converted to W/m^2 in order to use the equation correctly.
bearsfan654
Hello,

I've been trying to solve for the luminosity of Gliese 581 using its brightness. I've been using the equation below:

WkICx65.gif

F = (L/(4*pi*r^2))

I have the flux as the absolute brightness of Gliese 581, which is 11.6. The distance, r, to the star is 1.89210568 × 10^17 meters. However, when I input all of that into the equation, I get 5.21 * 10^36 watts. That does not seem even close to the correct answer, which should be about 6.38 * 10^24 watts. What did I do wrong?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
bearsfan654 said:
F = (L/(4*pi*r^2)) I have the flux as the absolute brightness of Gliese 581, which is 11.6.
In which units?
bearsfan654 said:
The distance, r, to the star is 1.89210568 × 10^17 meters. However, when I input all of that into the equation, I get 5.21 * 10^36 watts. That does not seem even close to the correct answer, which should be about 6.38 * 10^24 watts. What did I do wrong?
You need F in units if W/mˇ2
How do you get that?
Because that "absolute brightness 11,6" is in different units - not W/m2.

How can I convert the absolute brightness of 11.6 into flux?

Related to Calculating Luminosity from Brightness: Where Did I Go Wrong?

What is the luminosity equation?

The luminosity equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the total amount of energy emitted by a star per unit time. It takes into account the star's surface temperature, radius, and distance from Earth.

How is luminosity different from brightness?

Luminosity is a measure of the total energy emitted by a star, while brightness is a measure of how bright a star appears from Earth. Luminosity takes into account the star's distance, while brightness does not.

What is the significance of the luminosity equation?

The luminosity equation is significant because it allows scientists to compare the energy output of different stars and understand their properties. It also helps in studying the evolution and life cycle of stars.

How is the luminosity equation used in astronomy?

The luminosity equation is used in astronomy to determine the distance to stars, classify stars based on their properties, and study the energy output and behavior of stars. It is also used in the study of galaxies and other celestial objects.

What are the units used in the luminosity equation?

The luminosity equation uses units of energy (joules) per unit time (seconds). In astronomy, the luminosity of stars is often expressed in terms of solar luminosities, which is the amount of energy emitted by the Sun. This allows for easier comparison between stars.