Calculating Limits for a Quadratic Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a given function using algebraic manipulations. The person makes a mistake in their initial attempt but is able to correct it and obtain the correct expression for the limit.
Dembadon
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the following function:

[tex]f(x) = 4x^2 - 8x.[/tex]

Find the limit.

[tex]
\lim_{{\Delta}x\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+{\Delta}x)-f(x)}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

Given: The limit exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the limit exists, I know that I need to do some algebraic manipulations that will enable me to cancel the [tex]{\Delta}x[/tex] in the denominator.

Here's what I did first:

[tex]
\frac{4(x+{\Delta}x)^2-8(x+{\Delta}x)}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

After expanding:

[tex]
\frac{4(x^2+2x{\Delta}x+{\Delta}x^2)-8(x+{\Delta}x)}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

After distributing:

[tex]
\frac{4x^2+8x{\Delta}x+4{\Delta}x^2-8x-8{\Delta}x}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

Would my next step be?:

[tex]
\frac{(4{\Delta}x^2+8x{\Delta}x-8{\Delta}x)+(4x^2-8x)}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

...so that I could pull out the [tex]{\Delta}x[/tex] and cancel it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to subtract the 'f(x)' that's in the numerator of your difference quotient. That's what cancels the stuff that doesn't have a delta-x in it.

Dembadon said:
Would my next step be?:

[tex]
\frac{(4{\Delta}x^2+8x{\Delta}x-8{\Delta}x)+(4x^2-8x)}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

...so that I could pull out the [tex]{\Delta}x[/tex] and cancel it?

The second group (4x^2-8x) in the numerator does not have a {\Delta}x so you can't completely get rid of the {\Delta}x. Do you have any other attemps?

Dick said:
You forgot to subtract the 'f(x)' that's in the numerator of your difference quotient. That's what cancels the stuff that doesn't have a delta-x in it.

What an embarrassingly careless mistake. Thank you, Dick. I've obtained the correct expression for the limit.

My initial difference quotient should've been:

[tex]
\frac{4(x+{\Delta}x)^2-8(x+{\Delta}x)-(4x^2-8x)}{{\Delta}x}
[/tex]

Thanks for the help!

Related to Calculating Limits for a Quadratic Function

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a specific value. It represents the behavior of the function or sequence near that value.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use the limit laws and algebraic manipulation to simplify the function and evaluate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function on one side of the input value, while a two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function on both sides of the input value. One-sided limits are denoted by a plus or minus sign, while two-sided limits are denoted by an equal sign.

4. What is an indeterminate form in calculus?

An indeterminate form in calculus refers to a limit that cannot be evaluated directly using substitution or other techniques. These forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, and ∞ − ∞. To evaluate these limits, you may need to use L'Hôpital's rule or other advanced techniques.

5. Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point. They also help us determine the continuity, differentiability, and convergence of a function. Limits are also crucial in solving advanced calculus problems and applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.