Calculating Lifting Mechanism for Radioactive Fuel Element Removal Machine

In summary, the problem is that there is not much headroom and access to the area. The design must take into account the possible reactions that could take place. There are many calculations that must be done when designing a lifting mechanism.
netgear87
hello i am new to this forum..i have been set a problem whereby i am asked to design a machine to remove radioactive fuel elements which are contained in cylinders. i am asked to only look at the mechanical aspects (lifting device) of the design. Density and measurements were given and mass of each cyclinder was calculated at 70kg. The machine will be controlled remotely and vision systems can be used. For mobility, i have been looking into radio controlled bomb disposal vehicles and for the lifting devices research has been done on hoist, cranes, telescopic arm, robotic arm etc.

The problem section is 4m long and 0.7m wide. The channel is 2.5m deep and full of water and some sludge.The headroom above the floor is only 2m and access is from one side (see sketch).

My questions is, what are some of the possible calcuations one can do when designing/selecting an appropriate lifiting mechanism?

Attachments

• CCF02022010_00000.jpg
    CCF02022010_00000.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 543
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about an electromagnet?

oops i forgot to mention that the cylinders are aluminium and hence non magnetic.:approve:

Electromagnets work on aluminum too :P.

are the cylinders radioactive?
is the robot ever to come out of the hot area if it breaks?

dr

Aluminium is a paramagnetic material and is said to be 'non-magnetic'.
It is assumed that the robot is for 'one time' use only as it will be contaminated after retriving the cylinders.

netgear87 said:
My questions is, what are some of the possible calcuations one can do when designing/selecting an appropriate lifiting mechanism?
Reactivity control and reactivity rate control. As fissionable material is moved, temperature changed, moderator changed, its proximity to criticality must be monitored and controlled. Conceptually, link the lifting mechanism control with reactivity protection and analysis.

Oh yeah, decay heat removal provisions. Strain limiting in addition to stress limiting. The SL-1 accident was caused by uncontrolled strain recovery.

thanx:smile:

hi i am working in non uniform beam design (backhoe loader ) anyone can help me what the methods can be used to calculate the dimensions?

Related to Calculating Lifting Mechanism for Radioactive Fuel Element Removal Machine

What is an engineering design problem?

An engineering design problem is a challenge or issue that requires a solution from an engineering perspective. It involves identifying a problem, understanding the constraints and requirements, and coming up with a design that meets those criteria.

How do engineers approach solving design problems?

Engineers typically follow a systematic process to solve design problems. This includes defining the problem, researching and gathering information, brainstorming and generating ideas, evaluating and selecting the best solution, and implementing and testing the design.

What are some common types of engineering design problems?

Some common types of engineering design problems include structural design, mechanical design, electrical design, and software design. These can range from designing buildings and bridges to creating new products or systems.

What are the key elements of a successful engineering design?

A successful engineering design should meet the requirements and constraints of the problem, be functional, efficient, and cost-effective, and be safe and reliable. It should also be sustainable and consider any potential impact on the environment.

How do engineers ensure their designs are effective?

Engineers use various tools and techniques to ensure their designs are effective. This can include computer-aided design (CAD) software, simulations and prototypes, testing and analysis, and collaboration with other experts in the field.