Calculating Kp for Gaseous Reaction: Stuck at Finding Total Moles

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter DottZakapa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the total moles of substances present in a chemical reaction using the ideal gas law and using ICE tables. The individual makes a mistake in using "CL" instead of "Cl" and later realizes their mistake and calculates the value of x to solve for the total moles. They then use this value to solve for the equilibrium constant, Kp.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
##8,5*10^-2## moles of gaseous ##PCL_5## are inserted in a 0,50 L volume reactor. At 540 K, the equilibrium ##PCL_5 <->PCL_3+CL_2## , is achieved and the total pressure in the reactor is 11.10 atm. Calculate Kp at equilibrium at this temperature.
Relevant Equations
Equilibrium
I am stuck, i have compute the total moles as :
## n_{tot}=\frac{P_{tot*V}}{RT}##=0,125 mol

##Kp= \frac{P_{tot}\frac {n_{PCL_3}}{n_{tot}}*P_{tot}\frac {n_{CL_2}}{n_{tot}}}{P_{tot} \frac {n_{PCL_3}}{n_{tot}}}=\frac {P_{tot}}{n_{tot}}*\frac {n_{PCL_3}n_{CL_2}}{n_{PCL_5}}##

From here, can't go forward, am i missing something to consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: numbers of moles of substances present are related by the reaction stoichiometry.

Have you heard about ICE tables? They are a handy tool to deal with such problems.

It is Cl, not CL.

Borek said:
Hint: numbers of moles of substances present are related by the reaction stoichiometry.

Have you heard about ICE tables? They are a handy tool to deal with such problems.

It is Cl, not CL.
Yes I've done it: but i am not understanding how to get x, usually Kc or Kp or partial pressures, or molar fractions are given, but here ?
IC tble.jpg

sorry for posting a pic btu i did not know how to draw it here

ok now i got it, yesterday i was too tired to see it 😅. Basically what I do is.
##8,5*10^{-2}-x+x+x= 8,5*10^{-2}+x=n_{tot}##
so
## n_{tot}=\frac{P_{tot*V}}{RT}##=0,125mol

##8,5*10^{-2}+x=0,125mol##

##X=0,125-8,5*10^{-2}=0,04 mol##

now I just plug in Kp equation and done

Related to Calculating Kp for Gaseous Reaction: Stuck at Finding Total Moles

1. How do I calculate Kp for a gaseous reaction?

To calculate Kp for a gaseous reaction, you need to first write out the balanced chemical equation and determine the equilibrium constant expression. Then, you need to calculate the partial pressures of each gaseous reactant and product at equilibrium. Finally, plug these values into the equilibrium constant expression to solve for Kp.

2. What is the difference between Kp and Kc?

Kp is the equilibrium constant for a gaseous reaction in terms of partial pressures, while Kc is the equilibrium constant in terms of molar concentrations. Kp is typically used for reactions involving gases, while Kc is used for reactions in solution.

3. How do I determine the total moles for a gaseous reaction?

To determine the total moles for a gaseous reaction, you need to add up the moles of each gaseous reactant and product. This can be done by using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

4. What if I am stuck at finding the partial pressures for a gaseous reaction?

If you are having trouble finding the partial pressures for a gaseous reaction, make sure you are using the correct units (usually atm or kPa) and that you are taking into account any stoichiometric coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. You can also refer to examples or practice problems to help guide you.

5. Can Kp be negative?

No, Kp cannot be negative. Kp is a unitless constant and is always positive. A negative value for Kp would indicate that the reaction is not at equilibrium, or that there is an error in the calculations.