Calculating Induced EMF in a Solenoid Inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses a 85 mH solenoid inductor and a tightly wound coil on its center with a resistance of 8.1 ohms. The mutual inductance between the two is 27 µH. At a given instant, the solenoid has a current of 540 mA and is decreasing at a rate of 2.5 A/s. The question is asking for the induced emf in the solenoid, which can be calculated using the equation emf = -N (ΔΦ/Δt). However, the necessary variables are not provided, so it is not possible to determine the induced emf at the given instant. Additional information or equations may be needed to
jacksonwiley

Homework Statement

An 85 mH solenoid inductor is wound on a form 0.80 m in length and 0.10 m in diameter. A coil is tightly wound around the solenoid at its center. The coil resistance is 8.1 ohms. The mutual inductance of the coil and solenoid is 27 µH. At a given instant, the current in the solenoid is 540 mA, and is decreasing at the rate of 2.5 A/s. At the given instant, the induced emf in the solenoid is closest to:
A) 170 mV
B) 150 mV
C) 210 mV
D) 230 mV
E) 190 mV

Homework Equations

emf =-N (ΔΦ/Δt)

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried to think of other equations to use such as ωBA sin θ where it would be 90 degrees because that's the peak. but that doesn't work.
so i though i might be able to use the above equation but it seems like i am missing too many variables.
i know the equation for self inductance is ( -L * ΔI/Δt )
but it is in the given instant and not over a range of time..
any small guidance would be much appreciated; I'm not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
would i just go about it by perhaps multiplying the 85 mH of the sole by the rate of decrease which is 2.5 A/s?

Related to Calculating Induced EMF in a Solenoid Inductor

1. What is a solenoid inductor?

A solenoid inductor is a type of electromagnet that is formed by a wire wound into a coil. It is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How do solenoid inductors work?

When an electric current flows through the wire coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field can then induce a voltage in nearby conductors, or it can be used to create an opposing force to the current flow, known as inductance.

3. What are some common problems with solenoid inductors?

Some common problems with solenoid inductors include overheating, saturation, and noise. Overheating can occur when the current flowing through the inductor is too high, while saturation can occur when the inductor is exposed to a strong magnetic field. Noise can also be an issue due to the rapid switching of the magnetic field.

4. How can solenoid inductor problems be prevented?

To prevent solenoid inductor problems, it is important to choose the right inductor for the application and ensure that it is properly rated for the amount of current and voltage it will be subjected to. It is also important to consider factors such as frequency, temperature, and proximity to other components.

5. How can solenoid inductor problems be diagnosed and resolved?

If a solenoid inductor is experiencing problems, it can be diagnosed using various techniques such as measuring its resistance and inductance, checking for physical damage, and using specialized equipment like an oscilloscope. Depending on the issue, solutions may include adjusting the circuit, replacing the inductor, or using additional components to mitigate the problem.