Calculating Induced Current in a Rectangular Loop

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular loop of wire with resistance R, a long straight wire carrying current I, and a distance s between them. The loop is pulled to the right with speed v, and the question asks for the magnitude of the induced current on the loop. The equations used include dφ=B•dA=(µₒI/2π)Wdr to find the flux, and ε= -dφ/dt and I=ǀεǀ/R to find the induced emf and current. It is important to consider which side of the rectangle is parallel to the long wire and to approach the problem as a motional emf problem.
shannon

Homework Statement

A WxH rectangular loop of wire, with resistance R, lies on a table a distance s from a separate long straight wire carrying a current I.
If the loop is pulled to the right, parallel to the wire, with the speed v, then what is the magnitude of the current induced on the loop?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that (a distance r away)
dφ=B•dA=(µₒI/2π)Wdr
now, to find φ
φ=(µₒI/2π)∫dr/r
I'm not sure about these limits...I was thinking from W->W+c (where c is just a constant)
But I'm not sure...
From here I was going to use the equations:
ε= -dφ/dt
I=ǀεǀ/R

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shannon,

shannon said:

Homework Statement

A WxH rectangular loop of wire, with resistance R, lies on a table a distance s from a separate long straight wire carrying a current I.
If the loop is pulled to the right, parallel to the wire, with the speed v, then what is the magnitude of the current induced on the loop?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that (a distance r away)
dφ=B•dA=(µₒI/2π)Wdr
now, to find φ
φ=(µₒI/2π)∫dr/r
I'm not sure about these limits...I was thinking from W->W+c (where c is just a constant)
But I'm not sure...
From here I was going to use the equations:
ε= -dφ/dt
I=ǀεǀ/R

Was there more information given? I think it matters which side of the rectangle is parallel to the long wire.

Also, I think it would be better to consider this as a motional emf problem rather than directly calcuating the loop flux. Does that help?

to calculate the induced current on the loop.

I would first clarify the variables and assumptions in this problem. The WxH rectangular loop of wire is assumed to have a constant resistance R and be lying flat on a table a distance s away from a long straight wire carrying a current I. The loop is then pulled parallel to the wire with a speed v. We are asked to calculate the magnitude of the induced current on the loop.

To solve this problem, we can use Faraday's law of induction which states that the induced electromotive force (emf) in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop. In this case, the magnetic flux through the loop is changing as it moves parallel to the wire, so an emf will be induced.

Using the equation for magnetic flux, φ=B•A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the area of the loop, we can find the induced emf by taking the derivative with respect to time. This gives us ε=-dφ/dt. Since we are interested in the current induced in the loop, we can use Ohm's law, I=ε/R, where R is the resistance of the loop.

To find the magnetic field, we can use the Biot-Savart law which states that the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. In this case, the magnetic field at a point on the loop due to the current in the straight wire can be calculated as B=(µₒI/2πr), where µₒ is the permeability of free space and r is the distance from the wire to the point on the loop.

To calculate the area of the loop, we can use the dimensions given in the problem, W and H. However, since the loop is moving parallel to the wire, the area of the loop will change as it moves. We can use the equation for the area of a rectangle, A=WxH, and take the derivative with respect to time to find the rate of change of the area, dA/dt=Wdv/dt. This gives us A=WHv. Substituting this into the equation for magnetic flux, we get φ=B•A=(µₒI/2π)(WHv). Taking the derivative with respect to time, we

Related to Calculating Induced Current in a Rectangular Loop

1. How do you calculate the induced current in a rectangular loop?

To calculate the induced current in a rectangular loop, you can use the formula I = ε/ (R x t), where I is the induced current, ε is the induced electromotive force, R is the resistance of the loop, and t is the time.

2. What factors affect the induced current in a rectangular loop?

The induced current in a rectangular loop is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the size and shape of the loop, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the loop.

3. How does the resistance of the loop affect the induced current?

The resistance of the loop affects the induced current because the higher the resistance, the lower the induced current. This is because a higher resistance means there is more opposition to the flow of current, resulting in a smaller induced current.

4. Can the direction of the induced current be determined?

Yes, the direction of the induced current can be determined using Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

5. How does the shape of the loop affect the induced current?

The shape of the loop affects the induced current because it determines the amount of magnetic flux passing through the loop. A larger loop will have a higher induced current compared to a smaller loop, all other factors being equal.