Calculating impulse response in convolution.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding h(t) given a continuous time linear time invariant signal with input x(t) and output y(t). The approach of manipulating the expression to get y(t) = x(t) * h(t) is incorrect. Instead, convolution is represented by a product in the frequency domain, while in the time domain it is defined by an integral. The equation y(t) = \int ^{t}_{-\infty} e^{-(t-\tau)} x(\tau-2)d\tau is given, and using this and the definition of convolution, the value of h(t) can be obtained.
ace_terabyte

Homework Statement

y(t) = [tex]\int ^{t}_{-\infty} e^{-(t-\tau)} x(\tau-2)d\tau[/tex]
Find h(t), given that the continuous time linear time invariant signal has input x(t) and output y(t).

2. The attempt at a solution
I was wondering if I can simply manipulate the expression until i get it in the form y(t) = x(t) * h(t) but I think that that approach is simply wrong. I just have no idea on how to approach this problem and was wondering if you can guide me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
ace_terabyte said:

Homework Statement

Find h(t), given that the continuous time linear time invariant signal has input x(t) and output y(t).

2. The attempt at a solution
I was wondering if I can simply manipulate the expression until i get it in the form y(t) = x(t) * h(t) but I think that that approach is simply wrong. I just have no idea on how to approach this problem and was wondering if you can guide me in the right direction.

Convolution is represented by a product only in the frequency domain: Y(s)=X(s)H(s).
In the time domain convolution is defined by the integral
y(t) = [tex]\int ^{t}_{-\infty} x(\tau) h(t-\tau)d\tau[/tex]

Thanks for that, the question asks me to find out h(t) and does not give me any other information. I assume it is the same in both frequency and time domain.

ace_terabyte said:
Thanks for that, the question asks me to find out h(t) and does not give me any other information. I assume it is the same in both frequency and time domain.

NO, in the time domain you have h(t), in the frequency domain you have H(s), the Laplace transform of h(t).
Compare your equation with mine and you can obtain h(t).

So going by what you said:

y(t) = [tex]\int ^{t}_{-\infty} (\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau-2)} x(\tau)d\tau[/tex]

= [tex]\int ^{t}_{-\infty} (\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)} (\frac{1}{e})^{(2)}x(\tau)d\tau[/tex]

=[tex](\frac{1}{e})^{(2)} \int ^{t}_{-\infty} (\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)} x(\tau)d\tau[/tex]

so is h(t) = [tex](\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)}[/tex] ?

ace_terabyte said:

So going by what you said:

y(t) = [tex]\int ^{t}_{-\infty} (\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau-2)} x(\tau)d\tau[/tex]

= [tex]\int ^{t}_{-\infty} (\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)} (\frac{1}{e})^{(2)}x(\tau)d\tau[/tex]

=[tex](\frac{1}{e})^{(2)} \int ^{t}_{-\infty} (\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)} x(\tau)d\tau[/tex]

so is h(t) = [tex](\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)}[/tex] ?
No, [tex] h(t-\tau) =(\frac{1}{e})^{(t-\tau)+2}[/tex]

Thanks a lot CEL, I appreciate it.

Related to Calculating impulse response in convolution.

1. How is impulse response calculated in convolution?

The impulse response in convolution is calculated by taking the inverse Fourier transform of the transfer function. This will give you the time-domain representation of the system's response to an impulse input.

2. What is the purpose of calculating impulse response in convolution?

The impulse response in convolution is used to determine the output of a system when any arbitrary input signal is given. It helps in analyzing the behavior of a system and designing filters and other signal processing techniques.

3. How do I interpret the impulse response graph in convolution?

The impulse response graph in convolution represents the amplitude of the system's response to an impulse input at different time intervals. The height of the graph at a specific time interval indicates the magnitude of the output signal at that time.

4. Can I calculate impulse response in convolution without using Fourier transforms?

No, Fourier transforms are necessary in calculating impulse response in convolution as it involves convolving the input signal with the system's transfer function in the frequency domain. Without using Fourier transforms, the output signal cannot be accurately determined.

5. How does changing the impulse response affect the output in convolution?

Changing the impulse response in convolution will directly affect the output signal. A longer impulse response will result in a longer output signal, while a shorter impulse response will result in a shorter output signal. Additionally, the shape and amplitude of the impulse response can also affect the overall shape and amplitude of the output signal.