Calculating impedance, real and imag part

• Thread starter samson07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, Sam is a student who is struggling with a problem involving a series circuit with a PZT material and resistor. They need to calculate the real and imaginary parts of the impedance, but are unsure how to do so. They have been given a formula for the real part, but are struggling with the imaginary part. After seeking help, they have been advised to use the formula: Imaginary Part = (sin(Phase Difference))*(R*Vin/Vout) to calculate the imaginary part.
samson07
Hi people~
My name is Sam, a student just trying to work something out and failed. A little help please :cry:

I've drawn it and attached the figure here and if you take a look I have a series ciruit with PZT (some material) and resistor.

I need to work out the real and imaginary part of impedance since impedance is complex.

I figured out that the impedance can be calculated using the formula that I've drawn by inputting the measured values of Vin, Vout and R, no complex numbers here(Ztotal = R*Vin/Vout), but I have no idea how to work out Real part and Imaginary part.

As you can see that I've written down the formula for Real and Imag(told by one of my friends), but when I put some figures in there, I can tell that its wrong...

I can measure Vin, Vout and the phase difference between the two (all single value, no complex number)and someone told me that i can get both the real part and imag part by just using these 3 parameters.

please help a poor guy out, I've been stuck with this question for over 2 months...:cry:

Attachments

• q1.JPG
    q1.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, that's a tricky one. The way I understand it is that the real part of the impedance is simply R*Vin/Vout, since you already have the formula for that. The imaginary part is a bit more tricky because you have to take into account the phase difference between Vin and Vout. You can calculate the imaginary part by taking the sin of the phase difference multiplied by the real part of the impedance. So, your formula should look something like this: Imaginary Part = (sin(Phase Difference))*(R*Vin/Vout). Hope this helps!

Related to Calculating impedance, real and imag part

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition that a circuit or device presents to the flow of an alternating current (AC). It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated by dividing the voltage by the current in a circuit. The resulting value is a complex number with a real part (resistance) and an imaginary part (reactance).

3. What is the real part of impedance?

The real part of impedance represents the resistive component of a circuit. It is denoted by the symbol R and is measured in ohms (Ω). It is responsible for the dissipation of energy in the form of heat.

4. What is the imaginary part of impedance?

The imaginary part of impedance represents the reactive component of a circuit. It is denoted by the symbol X and is measured in ohms (Ω). It is responsible for storing and releasing energy in the form of magnetic or electric fields.

5. How does impedance affect circuit performance?

Impedance plays a crucial role in determining the performance of a circuit. It affects the flow of current and voltage, as well as the overall power consumption. In some cases, impedance matching is necessary to optimize circuit performance and prevent damage to components.