Calculating IE in Amplifier Circuit with Thevenin's Theorem

That calculation is in the loop and is therefore affected by the presence of the .7V. However, they left the .7V out of the earlier calculation, which therefore is not affected by it. So the .7V was left out of the earlier calculation, but put into the later one, as if it were not left out of the earlier one. So the two methods, taking into account the .7V in a different way, are identical.So the .7V was left out of the earlier calculation, but put into the later one, as if it were not left out of the earlier one. So the two methods, taking into account the .7V in a different way, are identical.
Lunat1c
Given the circuit of the amplifier shown in the uploaded figure, I'm trying to find IE (the dc emitter current). For some reason, the book I'm using, when calculating Vb which is equivalent to VTH took in consideration the resistances in the emitter which are in parallel with R2 (the given solution is also uploaded, check figure 2 please).

I know this makes sense because the current passing through R1 and R2 is not equal since some current goes through the base. However for the thevenin equivalent circuit shouldn't the part where there's R1 and R2 be open circuit?

If i were to calculate IE myself I'd do it as follows:

VTH = (15/25.1k)*5.1k = 3.0478V
RTH = R1||R2 = 4064ohms

Considering the input loop of the first stage, VB = VTH= IBRTH + VBE + IE(RE1 + RE2)

Using this i got IE = 5.85mA which is quite close to what the book gave as an answer however I'd like to confirm my doubts.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 17.09.45.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 17.09.45.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 17.13.03.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 17.13.03.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lunat1c said:
Given the circuit of the amplifier shown in the uploaded figure, I'm trying to find IE (the dc emitter current). For some reason, the book I'm using, when calculating Vb which is equivalent to VTH took in consideration the resistances in the emitter which are in parallel with R2 (the given solution is also uploaded, check figure 2 please).

I know this makes sense because the current passing through R1 and R2 is not equal since some current goes through the base. However for the thevenin equivalent circuit shouldn't the part where there's R1 and R2 be open circuit?

If i were to calculate IE myself I'd do it as follows:

VTH = (15/25.1k)*5.1k = 3.0478V
RTH = R1||R2 = 4064ohms

Considering the input loop of the first stage, VB = VTH= IBRTH + VBE + IE(RE1 + RE2)

Using this i got IE = 5.85mA which is quite close to what the book gave as an answer however I'd like to confirm my doubts.

Thanks in advance

First off, VB = VTH is not true; VB is going to be less than VTH.

Proceeding with your equation:

VTH= IBRTH + VBE + IE(RE1 + RE2)

And substituting IB=IE/(beta)

We get:

VTH= IERTH/(beta) + VBE + IE(RE1 + RE2)

Plugging in the numbers and solving, I get IE=5.909 mA. I don't know why you got 5.85 mA.

This is a somewhat more accurate method of solution than that used by the book solution.

They just used a voltage divider method, but didn't include the effect of the .7 volt Vbe when they calculated the voltage out of the voltage divider. They included it in the last calculation, but a small error results from not including it in the earlier calculation. Your method includes it properly, hence gets a slightly more accurate result.

In both cases, where "beta" is used, more exactly it should be "beta+1", but that's a small difference.

With VB I meant the voltage at the point between R1 and R2 (i.e. Vcc minus the voltage drop on R1), why is that not equal to VTH?

Lunat1c said:
With VB I meant the voltage at the point between R1 and R2 (i.e. Vcc minus the voltage drop on R1), why is that not equal to VTH?

I assumed that's what you meant; that's the voltage at the base, hence the designation VB. VTH, on the other hand, is the open-circuit voltage out of the R1-R2 divider. Once the base is connected to the R1-R2 junction, and draws some current, the voltage out of the divider will decrease.

VTH is the voltage at the R1-R2 junction when the base of the transistor is not connected there.

VB is the voltage at the R1-R2 junction when the base is connected.

Does this make sense?

Yes, I understood what you just said. So my method and the one used by the book would have produced almost identical results if the book had taken into consideration the 0.7V. At the end of the day i know that it doesn't make that much of a difference but it is good to know.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lunat1c said:
Yes, I understood what you just said. So my method and the one used by the book would have produced almost identical results if the book had taken into consideration the 0.7V.

Yes, and you can see that this is true in the following way:

Leave out the .7V from your equation and solve; you will get 7.67 mA.

Leave out the .7V from their last calculation and solve, giving 2.89/377 = 7.67 mA.

Related to Calculating IE in Amplifier Circuit with Thevenin's Theorem

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem and how is it used to calculate IE in an amplifier circuit?

Thevenin's Theorem states that any linear, bilateral circuit can be reduced to a single voltage source in series with a single resistance. To calculate IE in an amplifier circuit using this theorem, we first use the open-circuit voltage method to determine the Thevenin voltage (Vth) and then use the short-circuit current method to determine the Thevenin resistance (Rth).

2. How do you determine the Thevenin voltage (Vth) in an amplifier circuit?

The Thevenin voltage (Vth) in an amplifier circuit can be determined using the open-circuit voltage method. This involves disconnecting the load resistor and measuring the voltage across the load terminals. This voltage is equal to the Thevenin voltage (Vth).

3. What is the Thevenin resistance (Rth) and how is it calculated?

The Thevenin resistance (Rth) is the equivalent resistance of the circuit when all voltage sources are replaced with short circuits and all current sources are replaced with open circuits. It can be calculated using the short-circuit current method, which involves short-circuiting the load terminals and measuring the current flowing through the short circuit. The Thevenin resistance (Rth) is then equal to the Thevenin voltage (Vth) divided by the short-circuit current.

4. Can Thevenin's Theorem be applied to all amplifier circuits?

Yes, Thevenin's Theorem can be applied to all linear, bilateral circuits. This includes most amplifier circuits, as they are typically designed to be linear and bilateral.

5. Are there any limitations to using Thevenin's Theorem to calculate IE in an amplifier circuit?

While Thevenin's Theorem can be a very useful tool in simplifying complex circuits, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to linear, bilateral circuits and may not accurately model non-linear or unilateral circuits. Additionally, in some cases, the Thevenin equivalent circuit may not be an exact representation of the original circuit. Care should be taken to ensure that the assumptions of Thevenin's Theorem are valid before using it to calculate IE in an amplifier circuit.