Calculating idsat from process models

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the value of Kpn in an equation using given model parameters and values. The speaker seems to be experiencing difficulty with the calculations and is seeking help and clarification.
ClearWaterNW
Hi, if anyone can help on this issue it is much abliged...

Homework Statement

Here are the model parameters...
VTH0 (VTH NMOS) = 0.7 to get everything even...
U0 (NMOS un) = 533 cm^2 / V sec or 533000000 um^2 / V sec
t0x = 1.41 * 10^-8 m or 0.0141 um
eox = 3.97 * 8.85 aF/um or .000035.1345 uF / um

Also...
VDD = 5V
W/L = 10/2

Homework Equations

Idsat = 1/2*KPn*W/L*(VDD-VTHN)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Must solve for Kpn = un * eox/tox first...
Using the values above I feel I get an unreasonable value of about 1.33 uA / V^2
This results in an Idsat of roughly 10 uA

A more reasonable result would give me a KPn of roughly 100 uA/V^2

There must be something wrong with the process model or I am missing a parameter or something. I am positive my units and calculations are correct as I have been through this problem many times.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you. You should make sure that you are using the correct units for your calculations. For example, you mentioned that U0 is 533 cm^2/V sec, but you used the value of 533000000 um^2/V sec in your calculation. The correct value should be 5.33e-4 m^2/V sec. Also, make sure that you are using the correct values for W and L.

Related to Calculating idsat from process models

1. What is idsat?

Idsat stands for saturated drain current, which is the maximum current that can flow through a transistor when it is fully turned on.

2. How is idsat calculated from process models?

Idsat is calculated by using the process parameters, such as oxide thickness, channel length, and doping concentrations, to determine the transistor's physical dimensions. This information is then used to calculate the transistor's saturation current using mathematical models and equations.

3. Why is calculating idsat important?

Calculating idsat is important because it allows us to accurately predict the performance of a transistor and ensure that it meets the desired specifications. It also helps in optimizing the design and performance of integrated circuits.

4. What are the limitations of using process models to calculate idsat?

One limitation is that process models are based on simplified assumptions and may not accurately represent the actual transistor behavior. They also do not take into account variations in manufacturing processes, which can affect the transistor's performance. Additionally, process models may become less accurate as technology advances and new materials and structures are used in transistor fabrication.

5. How can the accuracy of calculated idsat be improved?

The accuracy of calculated idsat can be improved by using more advanced process models that take into account more factors and parameters. Additionally, experimental data can be used to validate the results obtained from process models. Incorporating statistical methods and considering process variations can also improve the accuracy of calculated idsat.

Back