Calculating Helium Vrms and Average KE at 5K

• Thread starter mastiffcacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium
In summary, the question asks for the root mean square speed of Helium at 5K. The equation used to solve this problem is Vrms=sqrt((3kbT)/m), where kb is Boltzmann's constant, T is temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of Helium. The attempt at a solution involved plugging the given numbers into the equation, but the results were not accepted by the computer. After realizing that units were not checked and remembering a conversion from amu to kg, the correct answer was obtained.
mastiffcacher

Homework Statement

What is the root mean square speed of Helium at 5K?

Homework Equations

Vrms=sqrt((3kbT)/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged all the numbers in and keep getting 7.19*10-12. The computer keeps telling me that it is not correct. The next question ask for the avg KE which I found to be 1.04×10−22. I tried using 2/3 Kavg/kb and got 7.21*10-12. The computer tells me that is wrong also. Where am I messing up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check the units on kB, T, and m? What values did you use for them?

That is the whole proble. I remember overhearing the professor and another student talking about converting amu to kg. I plugged in the conversion and got the answer. It has been a long week and day. Guess my brain is still fried from the calculus test tonight. Thanks for the help.

Related to Calculating Helium Vrms and Average KE at 5K

1. What is Vrms and how is it related to helium?

Vrms stands for root mean square velocity and it is a measure of the average speed of particles in a gas. In the case of helium, Vrms is used to calculate the average speed of helium atoms at a given temperature.

2. How is Vrms calculated for helium at 5K?

The formula for calculating Vrms for a gas is √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas. For helium at 5K, the calculation would be √(3 * 8.314 J/molK * 5K / 4.003 g/mol) = 920 m/s.

3. Why is 5K a significant temperature for calculating helium Vrms?

5K is a significant temperature because it is the boiling point of helium. At this temperature, helium transitions from a gas to a liquid, and the average speed of the helium atoms decreases significantly. This makes it a useful temperature to study the properties of helium at its critical point.

4. How does the Vrms of helium at 5K compare to other gases?

Helium has the lowest molar mass of any gas, which means it has the highest Vrms at any given temperature. At 5K, the Vrms of helium is about 920 m/s, while the Vrms of other gases at the same temperature can range from 500-700 m/s.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating helium Vrms at 5K?

Calculating Vrms at 5K for helium is important in understanding the behavior of helium at low temperatures, which has many practical applications. It is used in cryogenics for cooling materials to very low temperatures, and in superconductivity research where helium is used as a coolant. It is also used in the study of phase transitions and critical phenomena in gases.