Calculating Headwind Component for Trigonometric Wind Triangle Problem

• I
  • Thread starter Cristiano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle between the wind and the aircraft's ground speed in the well-known trigonometric problem of the wind triangle. The speaker is struggling with finding a general procedure or algorithm to calculate this angle and is looking for help. They mention using components to add or subtract vectors, but are not sure how to do it efficiently.
Cristiano
This is a question about the well known trigonometric problem of the wind triangle, but my problem is just the calculation of the head wind component.
I don't know how to write a general procedure to find the angle between the wind and the speed of the aircraft (the so called ground speed).

Suppose that the wind direction WD= 120° and the ground track GT= 40°; the wind direction is always *from* x degrees, then I need to consider WD + 180= 300; the angle is GT - 300 + 360= 100°.
Now suppose that WD= 40° and GT= 120°; the above formula doesn't work; in this case I just need to do (WD + 180) - GT.
Please, could someone help me in finding a general procedure to do that?
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't need to do all this. Just draw a diagram and everything becomes obvious.
What angle are you trying to find out, anyway?
And what is ground track? The speed of the plane relative to the ground?

nasu said:
You don't need to do all this. Just draw a diagram and everything becomes obvious.

I already do that by hand, but the problem is that I need to find a general procedure or an algorithm (few lines of C code).
I need something like this:
1) calculate angle= (WD + 180) - GT
2) if angle > 360 then angle= angle - 180
3) if angle < 0 then angle ...
4) ...

but it's just an example.

nasu said:
What angle are you trying to find out, anyway?

The angle between the wind and the aircraft.

nasu said:
And what is ground track? The speed of the plane relative to the ground?

Yes.

Why don't you use components to add or subtract the vectors? Then you don't need to have different cases.
If you write the x component of vector a (for example) as ax=a cos(theta) where theta is the angle with the horizontal, ax will be negative when the angle is between 90 and 270 degrees. You add the x components and the y components and the signs will tell you in what quadrant is the angle of the resultant. And the inverse tangent will give you the value of the angle.

Probably I didn't get your point; let me try an example.
Suppose that we have the vector g (ground speed) = 450 and the vector w (wind) = 50.
The angle gt for g is 20° and the angle wt for w is 150°. The correct result is 150 - 20 = 130.
I do:
x= g * cos(gt) + w * cos(wt)
y= g * sin(gt) + w * sin(wt)
atan(y / x)= 25.2°.

== Addendum ==

In the meanwhile, I use the formula for the angle between two vectors:
gx= g * cos(gt), wx= w * cos(wt)
gy= g * sin(gt), wy= w * sin(wt)
cos(a)= (gx * wx + gy * wy) / g / w
which correctly returns 130°, but it's not very efficient.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Headwind Component for Trigonometric Wind Triangle Problem

1. How do I calculate the headwind component for a trigonometric wind triangle problem?

The headwind component can be calculated by using the following formula: Headwind = Wind Speed x sin(Wind Direction - Course Heading). This formula takes into account the angle between the wind direction and the course heading.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the headwind component in a trigonometric wind triangle problem?

Calculating the headwind component is important for determining the effect of wind on an aircraft's speed and direction. It allows pilots to make adjustments to their course heading and airspeed to compensate for the wind and reach their desired destination.

3. Do I need any special tools or equipment to calculate the headwind component?

No, you do not need any special tools or equipment. This calculation can be done using a simple scientific calculator or even by hand.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the headwind component for any type of aircraft?

Yes, the formula for calculating the headwind component is the same for all types of aircraft. However, it is important to note that the wind speed and direction may vary at different altitudes, so adjustments may need to be made for accurate calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the headwind component calculation in a trigonometric wind triangle problem?

The headwind component calculation is based on the assumption that the aircraft is flying in a straight line. In reality, various factors such as air turbulence and changes in wind speed and direction can affect the aircraft's course and speed. Therefore, this calculation should be used as a guide and adjustments may need to be made during the flight.