Calculating Headstart for a Cheetah Chasing an Antelope

In summary, the Cheetah and antelope have the same acceleration of 10 m/s squared. The cheetah can reach its top speed of 30 m/s in 3 seconds and run 450m before needing to rest. The antelope takes 2.2 seconds to reach its top speed of 22 m/s and can run a distance of 24.2m. The maximum headstart the cheetah can give the antelope is 133.9m. This is calculated by subtracting the distance the antelope can run in the same time from the 450m distance the cheetah can run before needing to rest.
aydemir
1. The Cheetah is the fastest land animal in the world. It can Accelerate from rest to 20m/s in 2 second, and has a top speed of 30 m/s. it can only maintain its top speed for 450 metres before it has to stop and rest. in contrast an antelope runs at a top speed of 22 m/s for much longer periods.

(cheetah and antelope have the same acceleration)

if the cheetah chases the antelope, both starting from rest, what is the maxiumum headstart the cheetah can give the antelope.

2. The Equations of Motion e.g. "v=u+at" ect.

3. i worked out that the acceleration of the cheetah and antelope to be 10 m/s (squared)
by simply using "acceleration = change in Velocity / time" which was
"(20-0)/2 = 10 m/s"

acceleration distance and time for the cheetah is 45m to reach top speed OR 3s to
reach top speed because "v+u+at therefore 30=0 + 10 * t (t=3s)
and x+ut+1/2 at (squared) (x= 45m)"

from further simple calculations i got the time for the cheetah to run 450m which was
16.5 seconds "x+450 - 45 = 405" 405m is the distance left over after the cheetah is
done accelerating, then i used "x=ut+1/2 at(squared)" (note that the a=0 so its really
x=ut)

the distance it takes the antelope to reach top speed is 24.2m and the time is 2.2s

now this is where I am stuck, so if anyone could help i would be extremely happy, thankyou
very much

Physics news on Phys.org
aydemir said:
1. The Cheetah is the fastest land animal in the world. It can Accelerate from rest to 20m/s in 2 second, and has a top speed of 30 m/s. it can only maintain its top speed for 450 metres before it has to stop and rest. in contrast an antelope runs at a top speed of 22 m/s for much longer periods.

(cheetah and antelope have the same acceleration)

if the cheetah chases the antelope, both starting from rest, what is the maxiumum headstart the cheetah can give the antelope.

2. The Equations of Motion e.g. "v=u+at" ect.
3. i worked out that the acceleration of the cheetah and antelope to be 10 m/s (squared)
by simply using "acceleration = change in Velocity / time" which was
"(20-0)/2 = 10 m/s"

acceleration distance and time for the cheetah is 45m to reach top speed OR 3s to
reach top speed because "v+u+at therefore 30=0 + 10 * t (t=3s)
and x+ut+1/2 at (squared) (x= 45m)"

from further simple calculations i got the time for the cheetah to run 450m which was
16.5 seconds "x+450 - 45 = 405" 405m is the distance left over after the cheetah is
done accelerating, then i used "x=ut+1/2 at(squared)" (note that the a=0 so its really
x=ut)

the distance it takes the antelope to reach top speed is 24.2m and the time is 2.2s

now this is where I am stuck, so if anyone could help i would be extremely happy, thankyou
very much
Everything you did so far looks great and is what I would have done. Next, I'd calculate how much distance the antelope can run in that same time, so use v * t where t is 16.5 - 2.2 to find distance ran with constant velocity. Then add the 24.2m you calculated earlier. This distance will be lower than 450. If you subtract it from 450, that is the maximum headstart allowed. Intuitively, this makes sense, but you can see it mathematically too:
[tex] R(t) = \frac{1}{2} a t^2 + v_o * t + R_o[/tex]
For us, however, acceleration and constant velocity are different times:
[tex] R(t) = \frac{1}{2} a t_1^2 + v_o * t_2 + R_o[/tex]
Solve for R_o, the initial distance, so that the antelope will run a distance R(t) equal to the cheetah (450 M)
[tex] R_o = R(t) - \frac{1}{2} a t_1^2 - v_o * t_2[/tex]
[tex] R_o = 450 - \frac{1}{2} 10*2.2^2 - 22 * (16.5 - 2.2)[/tex]

thankyou very much bro, i get it now :)

Related to Calculating Headstart for a Cheetah Chasing an Antelope

What are equations of motion?

Equations of motion are mathematical equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration over time. They are used to predict the future position and velocity of an object based on its initial conditions and the forces acting upon it.

What are the three types of equations of motion?

The three types of equations of motion are:

• First equation of motion: v = u + at
  • Second equation of motion: s = ut + ½at²
  • Third equation of motion: v² = u² + 2as

where:

• v: final velocity
  • u: initial velocity
  • a: acceleration
  • t: time
  • s: displacement

What are the assumptions made in equations of motion?

The assumptions made in equations of motion are:

• The object is moving in a straight line at a constant acceleration.
  • The acceleration is constant and not changing over time.
  • There are no external forces acting on the object.
  • The effects of air resistance and friction are negligible.

How do you solve equations of motion problems?

To solve equations of motion problems, you need to:

1. Identify the given values for initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time.
  2. Select one of the three equations of motion that has the most known values.
  3. Substitute the known values into the equation and solve for the unknown value.
  4. Repeat the process if necessary for other unknown values.

What are some real-life applications of equations of motion?

Equations of motion have various real-life applications, including:

• Calculating the trajectory of a projectile, such as a football or a bullet.
  • Predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.
  • Designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.
  • Modeling the movement of vehicles in traffic.
  • Understanding the motion of atoms and particles in physics experiments.