Calculating gear speed in rpm?

In summary, to calculate gear speed in rpm, you need to know the gear ratio and multiply it by the speed of the driving gear. The formula for calculating gear speed in rpm is (Driven gear teeth / Driving gear teeth) x Driving gear speed (in rpm) = Driven gear speed (in rpm). Gear speed can be calculated using different units as long as they are consistent. The driving gear is the gear directly connected to the power source, while the driven gear is the one driven by the driving gear. In most cases, the larger gear is the driving gear and the smaller gear is the driven gear. Gear speed can also be calculated for non-circular gears using the pitch diameter instead of the number of teeth.
The Jargon
Hi guys,

How would I go about calculating gear speed in rpm? If I know the input shaft speed, output shaft speed, gear ratios and tyre size.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'gear speed' in rpm?

xxChrisxx said:
What do you mean by 'gear speed' in rpm?

How fast the gear is spinning.

Well they'd be spinning at the same speed as the shafts.

Sorry I meant engine speed haha, don't know why I said gear speed.

By input shaft, I assume you mean transmission input shaft.

What is driving / controlling the speed of this shaft?

Related to Calculating gear speed in rpm?

1. How do I calculate gear speed in rpm?

To calculate gear speed in rpm, you need to know the gear ratio, or the number of teeth on the driven gear divided by the number of teeth on the driving gear. Multiply this ratio by the speed of the driving gear in rpm to get the speed of the driven gear in rpm.

2. What is the formula for calculating gear speed in rpm?

The formula for calculating gear speed in rpm is: (Driven gear teeth / Driving gear teeth) x Driving gear speed (in rpm) = Driven gear speed (in rpm).

3. Can gear speed be calculated using different units?

Yes, gear speed can be calculated using different units as long as they are consistent. For example, if the gear speed is given in meters per second, the driving gear speed should also be in meters per second.

4. How do I know which gear is the driving gear and which is the driven gear?

The driving gear is the gear that is directly connected to the power source, while the driven gear is the one that is driven by the driving gear. In most cases, the larger gear is the driving gear and the smaller gear is the driven gear.

5. Can gear speed be calculated for non-circular gears?

Yes, gear speed can be calculated for non-circular gears using the pitch diameter instead of the number of teeth. The pitch diameter is the diameter of the pitch circle, which is where the gear teeth mesh.