Calculating Friction Force on 5000kg Truck on 14° Slope

In summary: N as the frictional force. In summary, the question is asking for the friction force acting on a 5000 kg truck parked on a 14 degree slope. The formula for calculating friction is coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force. The correct answer is 11.86627 kN, which is found by using the static friction coefficient of 0.2493 and the normal force of 47593 N.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A 5000 kg truck is parked on a 14 degree slope. How big is the friction force on the truck?

Homework Equations

friction = coefficient of friction X normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried breaking the weight into components. I used 1.00 as the coefficient of friction (given in a table in the book...rubber on concrete). I got 60916.27 N, which of course was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need no stinking tables. The force of friction acting on the truck is exactly equal and opposite to the force attempting to drag the truck down the slope. Since the truck is 'parked' and not moving, total force on it is zero.

Zero isn't right.

Of course it isn't. Total force is tangential gravitational force plus frictional force. They act in opposite directions. What is the component of gravitational force acting down the incline? That's equal to the frictional force.

The gravitational force down the incline is mgcos(theta), which equals 47593.005. I tried that as well.

I think the normal force is mg*cos(theta). I think the downward tangential force is mg*sin(theta).

Last edited:
That was right. Thank you!

aligass2004 said:
That was right. Thank you!

I hope you know why that was right. But you're welcome.

Last edited:
Take a look at my thread for a similar problem called "Friction force problem".

You are almost there to solving this. mgcos(14) gives you the normal force. which is perpendicular to the slope. It should also be in mega Newtons.

Look at your formula.

The answer I am getting is 11.866 MegaN. I am studying the samething so. yea.

EDIT: damn i was too late.

pooface said:
Take a look at my thread for a similar problem called "Friction force problem".

You are almost there to solving this. mgcos(14) gives you the normal force. which is perpendicular to the slope. It should also be in mega Newtons.

Look at your formula.

The answer I am getting is 11.866 MegaN. I am studying the samething so. yea.

EDIT: damn i was too late.

You are not only late, the answer you gave is pretty wrong. Suggest you figure out why.

Dick said:
You are not only late, the answer you gave is pretty wrong. Suggest you figure out why.

Ok. I re-did the problem and now am getting 11.8649 kN as the frictional force.

For some reason I converted the 5000 kg to grams and then did multiplied by 9.81 m/s^2.

Is that the correct answer?

The static friction coeff = tan14 = 0.2493
FN = 47593 N

(0.2493 x FN)= FF

= 11.8649 kN

I got 11866.27 N

Related to Calculating Friction Force on 5000kg Truck on 14° Slope

1. How do you calculate the friction force on a 5000kg truck on a 14° slope?

To calculate the friction force, you will need to use the formula Ff = µN, where Ff is the friction force, µ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. To find the normal force, you will need to use the formula N = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the truck, g is the gravitational acceleration, and θ is the angle of the slope. Once you have found the normal force, you can plug it into the first formula to calculate the friction force.

2. What is the coefficient of friction for a 5000kg truck on a 14° slope?

The coefficient of friction varies depending on the surface of the slope and the materials of the truck's tires. You can find the coefficient of friction by conducting experiments or researching the specific materials involved. For example, the coefficient of friction for rubber on asphalt is typically around 0.7.

3. How does the mass of the truck affect the friction force on a 14° slope?

The mass of the truck directly affects the normal force, which in turn affects the friction force. The greater the mass of the truck, the greater the normal force, and therefore the greater the friction force. This is because the weight of the truck increases the downward force on the tires, creating more friction between the tires and the slope.

4. Why is the angle of the slope important in calculating friction force on a 5000kg truck?

The angle of the slope is important because it affects the normal force, which is a crucial component in calculating the friction force. As the angle of the slope increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in the friction force. This is because the steeper the slope, the less weight is pushing down on the tires, reducing the friction between the tires and the slope.

5. Can the friction force on a 5000kg truck on a 14° slope be greater than the weight of the truck?

No, the friction force cannot be greater than the weight of the truck. The friction force is limited by the normal force, which is directly related to the weight of the truck. Therefore, the maximum friction force that can be exerted on the truck is equal to its weight. Any additional force would result in the truck sliding down the slope.