Calculating Friction Coefficient with 40 N Force and 5 kg Box

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction for a 5 kg box being pushed with a force of 40 N and an acceleration of 0.70 m/s^2. The experts ask for the net force and clarify that the problem is not related to kinetic energy. They also mention the possibility of another force, kinetic friction, acting on the box. The person asking for help mentions their understanding of static friction and asks for further clarification.
kirstynl
okay, i tried searching knietic energy and it won't come up,
soooo here's a questions:

a force of 40 N continues to push a 5 kg box and acclerates it a .70 m/s/s what is the coefficient of friction/

i got the static because it wasn't movingm, but i have no idiea how to get that please help

Physics news on Phys.org
First, tell us what was the net force acting on the body.

This problem has nothing to do with kinetic energy! As shooting star said (I seem to spending the day right behind him!), it is entirely a matter of force. What is the net force on the body? Also I have no idea what you mean by "I got the static because it wasn't moving". What wasn't moving? What "static"?

kirstynl said:
i got the static because it wasn't movingm, but i have no idiea how to get that please help

Do you by chance mean you "get" the case for static friction? Anyway, reply to our questions if you want to understand the problem.

if the acceleration is .7 m/s^2, and the box has a mass of five kilograms, Newton will only take a second to tell you the net force on the box.

Of course, if there's a difference between the applied force and the net force, there must be another force acting on the box. This is where you'll find your kinetic friction.

Related to Calculating Friction Coefficient with 40 N Force and 5 kg Box

1. What is friction coefficient?

Friction coefficient is a unitless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

2. How is friction coefficient calculated?

The friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. In this case, the force of friction is 40 N and the normal force is the weight of the box, which is 5 kg multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), resulting in a normal force of 49 N. Therefore, the friction coefficient would be 40 N / 49 N = 0.816.

3. What is the significance of a friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is important because it helps us understand how much force is needed to overcome the friction between two surfaces. It also allows us to predict the behavior of objects in motion and determine the amount of energy that will be lost due to friction.

4. How does the weight of the box affect the friction coefficient?

The weight of the box affects the friction coefficient because it determines the normal force, which is a component of the force of friction. As the weight of the box increases, so does the normal force, resulting in a higher friction coefficient.

5. Can the friction coefficient change?

Yes, the friction coefficient can change depending on various factors such as the type of surface, the smoothness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. It can also change over time as surfaces wear down or become smoother.