Calculating Frequency of Siren Heard by Truck After Police Passes

In summary, the frequency heard by an observer in the truck after the police car passes the truck is 636 Hz.
sugz

Homework Statement

A truck moving at 36 m/s passes a police car moving at 45 m/s in the opposite direction. If the frequency of the siren relative to the police car is 500 Hz, what is the frequency heard by an observer in the truck after the police car passes the truck? (The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.)
a)396 Hz
b) 636 Hz
c)361 Hz
d)393 Hz
e)617 Hz

Homework Equations

f′ = [(v + vO)/(v − vS)]f

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation above, as they are moving away from each other, i made vO = -36 m/s and vS = -45m/s. Plugging in those values, I get 396 Hz, which is option a) however the correct answer appears to be 636 Hz, which can only be obtained assuming that they are moving towards each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
sugz said:

Homework Statement

A truck moving at 36 m/s passes a police car moving at 45 m/s in the opposite direction. If the frequency of the siren relative to the police car is 500 Hz, what is the frequency heard by an observer in the truck after the police car passes the truck? (The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.)
a)396 Hz
b) 636 Hz
c)361 Hz
d)393 Hz
e)617 Hz

Homework Equations

f′ = [(v + vO)/(v − vS)]f

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation above, as they are moving away from each other, i made vO = -36 m/s and vS = -45m/s. Plugging in those values, I get 396 Hz, which is option a) however the correct answer appears to be 636 Hz, which can only be obtained assuming that they are moving towards each other.

The way you have specified the velocities VO and VS, both the observer and the police car are moving in the same direction. Over time, the distance separating the truck from the police car should increase.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean?

I get 636 but I added the cars velocities because they are moving AWAY from each other.

When they are moving away from each other, the equation becomes f' = [(v-vO)/(v+vs)]f. Thats what it says in our textbook, and when doing that, I get the value of 396Hz.

get rid of the negative signs when you do the equations. :wink:

sugz said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean?

If you make the velocity of the truck and the police car both negative, it implies that the two vehicles are traveling in the same direction, relative to a fixed point. Same deal if both velocities are positive. It stands to reason then, that if the truck and the police care are traveling in opposite directions, then their velocities must have different signs.

Related to Calculating Frequency of Siren Heard by Truck After Police Passes

1. How do you calculate the frequency of a siren heard by a truck after a police car passes?

The frequency of a siren can be calculated by dividing the speed of sound (343 meters per second) by the distance between the truck and the police car. For example, if the distance is 100 meters, the frequency would be 343/100 = 3.43 Hz.

2. Why is it important to calculate the frequency of a siren?

Calculating the frequency of a siren can help determine the speed of the police car. It can also be used to measure the distance between the truck and the police car, which can be useful in emergency situations.

3. What other factors can affect the frequency of a siren heard by a truck?

The frequency of a siren can also be affected by the speed and direction of the police car, as well as any obstacles or barriers that may be in between the truck and the police car.

4. How does the Doppler effect play a role in calculating the frequency of a siren?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. In the case of a siren, the frequency will appear higher as the police car approaches the truck and lower as it moves away, due to the movement of the source.

5. Is there an equation for calculating the frequency of a siren?

Yes, the equation for calculating the frequency of a siren is f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of sound, and λ is the wavelength (distance between the truck and police car).