Calculating Frequency of Oscillation of Plank on Rotating Wheels

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a plank in simple harmonic motion on top of two rotating wheels. The question requires the determination of the frequency of oscillation, but the person is stuck due to too many unknowns and equations. They have derived the equation a[x(t)] = -ug2x(t) and have tried using other SHM equations, but still need help. They mention that the frequency can be found by getting \omega in terms of the other parameters and then dividing by 2\pi.
noblesavage8
I have encountered a question regarding a plank shifting in simple harmonic motion on top of two rotating wheels, rotating in exact opposite directions with the same angular velocities and the question requires me to determine the frequency of oscillation, which has got me stuck. I proved that the plank first of all does go into SHM by using the concept of torque and such but I can't seem to calculate its frequency...
So far, I've come up with:
a[x(t)] = -ug2x(t), where a(u) is the fnction of acceleration with respect to the position of the plank at a given moment, u is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the plank and the wheel, and g is gravity.
And also, I've been fiddling with the equation a(t) = -w^2x(t) and w=2pif and the other SHM equations but I seem to just have too many unknowns and too few equations.
If somebody could just point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since

[tex]a = -\omega^2 x[/tex]

and you seem to have

[tex]a = -ug2x[/tex]

then you can get [itex]\omega[/itex] in terms of your other parameters. Then, the frequency is just [itex]\omega / 2\pi[/itex].

see, i arrived at that answer but it seemed strange to me because all it seemed to prove was that f = f, since w = 2pif, so w/2pi is just..well, f. i had expected to find the frequency in terms of the displacement of the block somehow...

Related to Calculating Frequency of Oscillation of Plank on Rotating Wheels

What is the formula for calculating the frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels?

The formula for calculating the frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels is f = 1/T, where f represents frequency and T represents the time for one complete oscillation.

What factors affect the frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels?

The frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels is affected by the length and mass of the plank, the radius of the wheels, and the angular velocity of the wheels.

How can I measure the frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels?

The frequency of oscillation can be measured by using a stopwatch to time the number of complete oscillations in a given period of time. This can then be used to calculate the frequency using the formula f = 1/T.

Why is it important to calculate the frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels?

Calculating the frequency of oscillation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the system and can be used to make predictions about its motion. It can also be used to compare different systems and determine which one has a higher frequency.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the frequency of oscillation of a plank on rotating wheels?

Some real-life applications of calculating the frequency of oscillation include understanding the motion of pendulums, tuning musical instruments, and determining the stability of structures such as bridges and buildings.