Calculating Frequency for Induction Motors with Given Horsepower and Pole Count

In summary, the conversation is about finding the frequency of an induction motor when given only 10hp and four poles. The formula for induced torque is Pgap / Ws, and the speaker has already found Pgap. However, in order to find Ws, they need to first find the frequency, which can be done by calculating the rated speed of the motor. Generally, an answer within 10% of the rated speed is acceptable in engineering.
onceinalifetim
Hello

I'm doing a question in induction motor now.

formula for Induced torque is Pgap / Ws.

i have found the Pgap, but in order to find Ws, i need frequency to find ns..
so my question is, how to find frequency with only given 10hp and four pole

Engineering news on Phys.org
The rated speed of an induction motor is typically within 5% of that motor's synchronous speed. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/speed-electrical-motors-d_738.html

Broadly speaking, in engineering, an answer correct to within 10% is generally acceptable. There are always exceptions to rules of thumb, but I can't see the question under discusion being one of them. :smile:

Related to Calculating Frequency for Induction Motors with Given Horsepower and Pole Count

1. What is a frequency-induction motor?

A frequency-induction motor is a type of AC motor that operates by using electromagnetic induction to create a rotating magnetic field. This type of motor is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications.

2. How does a frequency-induction motor work?

A frequency-induction motor works by passing alternating current through the stator windings, which creates a rotating magnetic field. This magnetic field induces a current in the rotor, causing it to rotate and turn the motor shaft.

3. What is the difference between a frequency-induction motor and a synchronous motor?

The main difference between a frequency-induction motor and a synchronous motor is that the frequency-induction motor relies on electromagnetic induction to create a rotating magnetic field, while a synchronous motor uses permanent magnets or DC current to create a fixed magnetic field.

4. What are the advantages of using a frequency-induction motor?

Some advantages of using a frequency-induction motor include its simplicity, low cost, and high efficiency. It also has a high starting torque and can operate at variable speeds.

5. What are some common applications of frequency-induction motors?

Frequency-induction motors are commonly used in a variety of applications, such as industrial machinery, pumps, fans, compressors, and conveyor systems. They are also commonly used in household appliances, such as air conditioners, refrigerators, and washing machines.