Calculating Forces Acting on 4 Spur Gears in a Machine

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help on how to calculate the forces acting on each gear in a machine with four gears of different diameters. The machine is driven by an 80kW motor through a 2 stage gearbox with spur gears and a pressure angle of 20 degrees. A link to a spur gear calculator is provided, but the conversation also mentions other resources that may be helpful for deriving the necessary equations and formulas.
Mohhid786
Hi,

i would like some help on how to calculate the forces acting on each gear if the machine had 4

for example gear 1 has a diameter of 100, gear 2 has 300, gear 3 has 133.34 and gear 4 has 266.66

the machine is driven by an 80kW motor through a 2 stage gearbox having four spur gears. The input motor runs at 1850 rev/min and all gears have a pressure angle of 20 degrees

if anyone can give me a helping hand with this it would be of most help thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
This link might do what you need: Spur Gear Calculator v1.07 http://www.dakeng.com/spurgear.html
It doesn't seem to accept pressure angles directly, but you should be able to derive what you need from the equations here: http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/spur.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link however its not letting me download it

The full version installed OK for me. On trying it out, it's not as useful as I hoped, though, but perhaps I'm not using it right. Its help file is in an old format and I didn't bother to try to install the old helpfile reader. Googling "spur gear calcultor" gives some other results, but I'm not sure what you need.
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drive/Gears.html#Forces has some force formulas that should help once the other geometric factors are known.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Forces Acting on 4 Spur Gears in a Machine

1. How do you calculate the forces acting on 4 spur gears in a machine?

To calculate the forces acting on 4 spur gears in a machine, you will need to use the formula F = (T1-T2)/r, where F is the force, T1 is the torque of the first gear, T2 is the torque of the second gear, and r is the radius of the gear. You will need to repeat this calculation for each gear in the system and then sum up all the forces to determine the total force acting on the gears.

2. What factors affect the forces acting on spur gears in a machine?

The forces acting on spur gears in a machine can be affected by several factors, such as the torque applied to the gears, the radius of the gears, the number of teeth on the gears, and the speed at which the gears are rotating. Additionally, the direction of the forces can also be influenced by the position and alignment of the gears in the machine.

3. How does the number of teeth on a gear affect the forces acting on it?

The number of teeth on a gear can greatly impact the forces acting on it. A gear with a larger number of teeth will have a larger radius, resulting in a greater force being exerted on it. This is due to the fact that the force is inversely proportional to the radius of the gear, so a larger radius will result in a smaller force being needed to rotate the gear.

4. Can the forces acting on spur gears be different for different gears in the same machine?

Yes, the forces acting on spur gears can vary for different gears in the same machine. This is because the torque and radius of each gear may be different, resulting in different forces being exerted on each gear. Additionally, the direction of the forces may also differ depending on the position and alignment of the gears in the machine.

5. How can I ensure that the forces acting on the gears in my machine are within a safe range?

To ensure that the forces acting on the gears in your machine are within a safe range, you will need to calculate the maximum allowable force for each gear using the formula F = (Tmax)/r, where Tmax is the maximum torque that the gear can withstand. You can then compare this with the calculated forces and make any necessary adjustments to keep the forces within a safe range.