Calculating Force on a Golf Ball when Putting on a Level Green

• I
  • Thread starter ashmoney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
ashmoney
I'm looking for advice on how to calculate the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green a certain distance. I currently have the mass of the golf ball (45.93g), distance (3.048m), and the rolling coefficient of friction using a stimpmeter reading. I have started by creating a free body diagram and using Newton's second law (F=ma), but I am so unsure of where to go from here to include the required distance into this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashmoney said:
I'm looking for advice on how to calculate the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green a certain distance. I currently have the mass of the golf ball (45.93g), distance (3.048m), and the rolling coefficient of friction using a stimpmeter reading. I have started by creating a free body diagram and using Newton's second law (F=ma), but I am so unsure of where to go from here to include the required distance into this equation.
It's not force you need, it's the initial impulse, which is (average) force by time to give you the initial momentum from the initial sudden acceleration phase.

The force of rolling friction/resistance is relevant for the deceleration phase.

Likes jbriggs444