Calculating Force Needed to Lift Load with Pickup Truck Crane

In summary, a customer bought a truck crane and is interested in calculating the force needed on the handle to lift a given load. They are aware of the weight of the crane and friction being negligible, and have already calculated the load on the jacks and various points along the boom. However, they are unsure of how to calculate the force at the point where the jacks and boom connect, as the angle is non-perpendicular and constantly changing. They have previously asked this question and received a response.
m iket
image_28.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-1647.html

I bought this truck crane for my father. How could i calculate the force needed on the handle to lift a given load? I could measure it but I am interested in how the math is done. For simplicity i'll assume the weight of the crane itself and friction are negligble. The load on the jacks two different diameter pistons or on various point along the length of the boom are easy to calculate separately. What i can't figure out is at where they connect. The piston extends in a straight line, but also rotates back as the boom rotates. Theres different angles that are non-perpendicular and changing so i don't know how to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You already asked this question and generated quite a discussion of it... Pointless to start a new thread. Locked.

Related to Calculating Force Needed to Lift Load with Pickup Truck Crane

1. How do you calculate the force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane?

The force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the load by the distance it needs to be lifted. This will give you the total amount of force, in pounds, needed to lift the load. However, it is important to also consider the weight and capacity of the crane as well as the angle of the boom when calculating the force.

2. What factors affect the force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane?

The force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane is affected by several factors, including the weight and capacity of the crane, the weight of the load, and the angle of the boom. Other factors that may affect the force needed include the distance the load needs to be lifted and the type of material being lifted.

3. How does the angle of the boom affect the force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane?

The angle of the boom can greatly affect the force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane. When the boom is at a steeper angle, more force is needed to counteract the weight of the load. This is because the weight of the load is not being lifted directly upward, but rather at an angle. Therefore, the steeper the angle of the boom, the more force will be needed to lift the load.

4. What is the weight and capacity of a typical pickup truck crane?

The weight and capacity of a typical pickup truck crane can vary greatly depending on the make and model. However, most pickup truck cranes have a capacity of around 1,000 to 2,000 pounds and weigh anywhere from 300 to 600 pounds. It is important to check the specifications of your specific crane to ensure it is capable of lifting the desired load.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when calculating the force needed to lift a load with a pickup truck crane. It is important to ensure that the crane is properly maintained and in good working condition. The load should also be properly secured and evenly distributed to avoid any accidents. Additionally, it is recommended to have a trained and experienced operator control the crane to ensure safety.