Calculating Force and Displacement for a Particle in Advanced Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving calculating the force and displacement of a particle with a given mass and velocity function. The equations used are f=ma and f=m*dv/dt. The solution involves finding the force F(x) and displacement x(t) of the particle using the given equations and initial conditions. The final solution is -mα^2/(2x^2) for the force and integration of v(x) to find x(t).
mch
I'm new to this site, so please bear with me.

1. Homework Statement

A particle of mass m has speed v(x) = α/√x. Calculate the force F(x) responsible. Then, calculate the displacement x(t) of the particle.

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equations that I believe we are supposed to use are f=ma and f=m*dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since F= m*dv/dt, i tried this:

F = m*dv/dx*dx/dt = mv*dv/dx = -mvα/(2(x)^(3/2))

And that's as far as I could get for the first problem. However, this seems off because the force is in terms of two variables, right? V and x?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already know v as a function of x so it is really only one variable ...

You're given an expression for v in terms of x...

Oh okay great! So F(x) = -mα^2/(2x^2). Thank you! How silly of me.

So now I need to find x(t). Do i say that F = -mα^2/(2x^2) = mx'' and solve the second order differential equation? My initial conditions are that v(x=0) = 0 and x(t = 0)=0.

Those initial conditions are incompatible with v(x) = α/√x.

Also, you do not need to use the force equation, you already know that dx/dt = v(x) so you can just integrate this.

Thank you. I figured this out and I believe I got all the right answers.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Related to Calculating Force and Displacement for a Particle in Advanced Mechanics

1. What is advanced mechanics problem?

Advanced mechanics problem is a type of physics problem that involves applying complex principles and equations to solve for unknown variables in a given scenario. It requires a deep understanding of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy, and the ability to use mathematical tools like calculus to solve problems.

2. How is advanced mechanics problem different from basic mechanics problem?

Advanced mechanics problems are more complex and challenging compared to basic mechanics problems. They often involve multiple forces, objects moving in multiple dimensions, and non-ideal conditions. Additionally, advanced mechanics problems require a higher level of mathematics and analytical thinking.

3. What skills are needed to solve advanced mechanics problems?

To solve advanced mechanics problems, you need a strong foundation in physics principles, especially in mechanics. You also need to have a good understanding of calculus and other mathematical tools, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Familiarity with computer programming and simulation software can also be helpful.

4. How can I improve my ability to solve advanced mechanics problems?

The best way to improve your ability to solve advanced mechanics problems is through practice. Work on a variety of problems, starting with simpler ones and gradually moving on to more complex ones. Also, make sure to review and strengthen your understanding of fundamental physics principles and mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any real-life applications of advanced mechanics problems?

Yes, advanced mechanics problems have many real-life applications, especially in the fields of engineering and technology. For example, advanced mechanics principles are used to design and analyze structures, develop new transportation systems, and improve the efficiency of machines. Understanding advanced mechanics can also help in predicting the behavior of natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and celestial movements.