Calculating Football RPM: Accuracy Guidance

• B
  • Thread starter BonBonBrady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rpm
In summary, the conversation discusses the oversimplification of calculating RPM and suggests using high-speed video to determine the time it takes for a thrown football to make one revolution, resulting in an RPM of 689.65. The accuracy of this measurement is debated, with some suggesting it could be closer to 690. The conversation also touches on the difference in spin between a professional and a casual player in football and baseball.
BonBonBrady
looking for some guidance on what seems to be an oversimplification of calculating RPM. Using hi speed video (240 frames per second), I can determine that it takes .087 of a second for a thrown football to make its first revolution when coming off the hand of the thrower. Assuming I want to use this time for 1 minute, I get an RPM of 689.65. Does this sound correct? TIA

Likes Delta2
Mathematics news on Phys.org
BonBonBrady said:
looking for some guidance on what seems to be an oversimplification of calculating RPM. Using hi speed video (240 frames per second), I can determine that it takes .087 of a second for a thrown football to make its first revolution when coming off the hand of the thrower. Assuming I want to use this time for 1 minute, I get an RPM of 689.65. Does this sound correct? TIA
Yes. If you divide 60 s by the time in seconds it takes to make une revolution, you end up with RPM.

Likes BonBonBrady and Delta2
Alternatively, if you work with the units involved, it might be easier to follow.
Given information: ##.087 \frac{\text{sec}}{\text{revolution}}##
This is equivalent to ##\frac 1 {.087} \frac{\text{revolution}}{\text{sec}} = \frac 1 {.087} \frac{\text{revolution}}{\text{sec}} \cdot 60 \frac {\text{sec}}{\text{min}}##
The last factor converts seconds to minutes, and the resulting units are revolutions/min = RPM, with the seconds units cancelling.
Multiplying 60 by 1/.087 is equivalent to dividing 60 by .087, which is what @DrClaude suggested.

BonBonBrady said:
I get an RPM of 689.65.

Probably this is 690. When you wrote 689.65 you are saying it's more than 689.645 and less than 689.655. You probably don't know it this accurately.

Likes berkeman
This article from Harvard says the average is 600rpm which correlates well with your measured result.

https://chandra.harvard.edu/blog/node/185

Likes DrClaude
I would have thought a professional quarterback would get a lot more spin than a random person. Maybe it slows down pretty quickly after release?

Office_Shredder said:
I would have thought a professional quarterback would get a lot more spin than a random person. Maybe it slows down pretty quickly after release?
I don't think so on either point. Even an amateur can throw a football 50 yards/meters, so the force of the throw and the corresponding release and release RPM would be similar. The difference with good quarterbacks in my experience is the much better alignment of the spin with the launch angle (no wobble) and much better accuracy of the launch path.

However, there is a very big difference in baseball backspin RPM between the casual baseball player and a trained high school / college / professional player, since we are taught to maximize backspin on the ball on our throws. We learn to always pull the ball out of our glove with our fingers in the "4-seam fastball" position, so we can whip the back of the ball down as we throw to maximize backspin and minimize the drop of the ball. I learned that in high school from our semi-pro baseball coach, and spent hours at home in front of the TV tossing a baseball into my glove and learning to always grab it in the 4-seam position. Thanks coach! :smile:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the purpose of calculating football RPM?

The purpose of calculating football RPM is to measure the rotational speed of a football in revolutions per minute (RPM). This can provide valuable insights into a player's throwing technique and can also be used to compare the performance of different footballs.

2. How is football RPM calculated?

Football RPM is calculated by measuring the number of rotations a football makes in a given time period and then converting it to revolutions per minute. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a high-speed camera or a radar gun.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of football RPM calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of football RPM calculations, including the type of equipment used, the precision of the measurements, and external factors such as wind or temperature. It is important to follow proper procedures and use high-quality equipment to ensure accurate results.

4. Can football RPM be used to predict a player's throwing speed?

No, football RPM alone cannot accurately predict a player's throwing speed. Other factors such as arm strength, technique, and release point also play a significant role in determining throwing speed. However, football RPM can provide valuable information about a player's throwing mechanics and help identify areas for improvement.

5. How can football RPM data be used in training and coaching?

Football RPM data can be used in training and coaching by providing objective feedback on a player's throwing technique. Coaches can use this data to identify areas for improvement and develop targeted training drills. Additionally, players can use football RPM data to track their progress and make adjustments to their technique for better performance.