Calculating Flux of Vector Field on a Spherical Surface

In summary: Hmmm, I'm guessing your $\mathbf F$ is wrong. :confused:I see.So, it becomes$\mathbf F = \mathbf{\hat r} a^2\cos\phi = a^2\cos\theta\sin\phi\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat r} + a^2\sin\theta\sin\phi\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat \theta} + a^2\cos^2\phi\mathbf{\hat \phi}$$\mathbf{\hat n} = \mathbf{\hat r} = \cos\theta\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat r} + \sin\theta
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello again! :)
I am given the following exercise:
Find the flux of the vector field $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+ zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$ of the surface that consists of the first octant of the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2(x,y,z \geq 0).$

That's what I did so far:

$\hat{n}=\frac{\nabla{G}}{| \nabla{G} |}=\frac{x \hat{i}+ y\hat{j}+ z\hat{k}}{a}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}) \frac{x \hat{i}+y \hat{j} +z \hat{k}}{a}}ds=\int_C{\frac{zx^2+zy^2+z^3}{a}}ds$

How can I continue? Do I have to use spherical coordinates? Or can I solve this with these coordinates? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello again! :)
I am given the following exercise:
Find the flux of the vector field $\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{i}+ x \hat{j}$ of the surface that consists of the first octant of the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2(x,y,z \geq 0).$

That's what I did so far:

$\hat{n}=\frac{\nabla{G}}{| \nabla{G} |}=\frac{x \hat{i}+ y\hat{j}+ z\hat{k}}{a}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}) \frac{x \hat{i}+y \hat{j} +z \hat{k}}{a}}ds=\int_C{\frac{zx^2+zy^2+z^3}{a}}ds$

How can I continue? Do I have to use spherical coordinates? Or can I solve this with these coordinates? :confused:

Hi! :rolleyes:

Which $\overrightarrow{F}$ are you supposed to integrate?

Is it $\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{i}+ x \hat{j}$, or $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$?

In the first case, you can use the $\overrightarrow{F} = -\rho \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in cylindrical coordinates.
Or $\overrightarrow{F} = -r \sin \theta \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in spherical coordinates.

A good alternative is to apply Gauss's divergence theorem.
You will have to compensate for the coordinate planes (assuming they are not included), but they are easy to integrate.

I like Serena said:
Hi! :rolleyes:

Which $\overrightarrow{F}$ are you supposed to integrate?

Is it $\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{i}+ x \hat{j}$, or $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$?

In the first case, you can use the $\overrightarrow{F} = -\rho \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in cylindrical coordinates.
Or $\overrightarrow{F} = -r \sin \theta \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in spherical coordinates.

A good alternative is to apply Gauss's divergence theorem.
You will have to compensate for the coordinate planes (assuming they are not included), but they are easy to integrate.

Oh,sorry! :eek: I accidentally wrote the vector field of an other exercise..I meant this vector field: $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$ !
Why can I apply the Gauss's divergence theorem?? Is it a closed path??

evinda said:
Oh,sorry! :eek: I accidentally wrote the vector field of an other exercise..I meant this vector field: $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$ !

Now that I'm looking a bit better, I can see that $\overrightarrow{F}$ can be written in spherical form fairly easily.
Can you find it?

So a spherical integration seems appropriate.
Why can I apply the Gauss's divergence theorem?? Is it a closed path??

Well, you wrote an integral on a path, but apparently you are supposed to integrate over a surface.

And no, it is not a closed surface, but if you include the coordinate planes, it is a closed surface. Afterward you will have to subtract the integrations over the coordinate planes.

For reference, Gauss's divergence theorem is:
$$\bigcirc\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\iint_S \mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}dS = \iiint_V \nabla \cdot \mathbf F dV$$

I like Serena said:
Now that I'm looking a bit better, I can see that $\overrightarrow{F}$ can be written in spherical form fairly easily.
Can you find it?

So a spherical integration seems appropriate.

Well, you wrote an integral on a path, but apparently you are supposed to integrate over a surface.

And no, it is not a closed surface, but if you include the coordinate planes, it is a closed surface. Afterward you will have to subtract the integrations over the coordinate planes.

For reference, Gauss's divergence theorem is:
$$\bigcirc\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\iint_S \mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}dS = \iiint_V \nabla \cdot \mathbf F dV$$

The spherical coordinates are:
$x=a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$y=a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$z=a \cos{\phi}$
$0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$
$0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$

So $\overrightarrow{F}=a^2 \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{i}+a^2\sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{j}+a^2\cos^2{\phi}\hat{k}$.

$\hat{n}=\frac{a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+a \cos{\phi} \hat{k}}{a}=\cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+ \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+ \cos{\phi} \hat{k}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(a^2\cos^2\theta \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\sin^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\cos^3{\phi})}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{a^2\cos{\phi}}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\cos{\phi} d \phi}=\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$

I hope that the calculations are right...

But..is that what I did correct or have I done something wrong?? (Thinking)

evinda said:
The spherical coordinates are:
$x=a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$y=a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$z=a \cos{\phi}$
$0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$
$0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$

So $\overrightarrow{F}=a^2 \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{i}+a^2\sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{j}+a^2\cos^2{\phi}\hat{k}$.

$\hat{n}=\frac{a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+a \cos{\phi} \hat{k}}{a}=\cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+ \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+ \cos{\phi} \hat{k}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(a^2\cos^2\theta \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\sin^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\cos^3{\phi})}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{a^2\cos{\phi}}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\cos{\phi} d \phi}=\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$

I hope that the calculations are right...

But..is that what I did correct or have I done something wrong?? (Thinking)

Almost.

Your calculation of $\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}$ is correct.

But in spherical coordinates the surface element $ds = r^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi = a^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi$.
(Formally: the absolute value of the Jacobian is $r^2\sin\phi $.)
You have left out this factor $a^2\sin\phi$.

Oh, and the angle limits of an octant are $\frac \pi 2$ instead of $\frac \pi 4$.
Btw, an easier calculation of the dot product is by using the local spherical basis $(\mathbf{\hat r}, \mathbf{\hat \phi}, \mathbf{\hat \theta})$:
$$\mathbf F = z(x\mathbf{\hat i} + y\mathbf{\hat j} + z\mathbf{\hat k}) = zr\mathbf{\hat r}$$
$$\mathbf{\hat n} = \mathbf{\hat r}$$
Therefore:
$$\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n} = zr\mathbf{\hat r} \cdot \mathbf{\hat r} = zr = r\cos\phi \cdot r = a^2 \cos\phi$$

I like Serena said:
Almost.

Your calculation of $\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}$ is correct.

But in spherical coordinates the surface element $ds = r^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi = a^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi$.
(Formally: the absolute value of the Jacobian is $r^2\sin\phi $.)
You have left out this factor $a^2\sin\phi$.

Oh, and the angle limits of an octant are $\frac \pi 2$ instead of $\frac \pi 4$.
Btw, an easier calculation of the dot product is by using the local spherical basis $(\mathbf{\hat r}, \mathbf{\hat \phi}, \mathbf{\hat \theta})$:
$$\mathbf F = z(x\mathbf{\hat i} + y\mathbf{\hat j} + z\mathbf{\hat k}) = zr\mathbf{\hat r}$$
$$\mathbf{\hat n} = \mathbf{\hat r}$$
Therefore:
$$\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n} = zr\mathbf{\hat r} \cdot \mathbf{\hat r} = zr = r\cos\phi \cdot r = a^2 \cos\phi$$

A ok.. :eek: So is it like that?

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi}}d\phi=a^4$

evinda said:
A ok.. :eek: So is it like that?

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi}}d\phi=a^4$

Almost.

You appear to have chosen $\phi$ as the angle with the z-axis (which surprises me actually, but conventions vary).
With that choice the extra factor must be $a^2\sin\phi$ instead of $a^2\sin\theta$. :eek:

I like Serena said:
Almost.

You appear to have chosen $\phi$ as the angle with the z-axis (which surprises me actually, but conventions vary).
With that choice the extra factor must be $a^2\sin\phi$ instead of $a^2\sin\theta$. :eek:

I changed this:
Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \frac{\pi}{2}\cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d\phi=a^4\frac{\pi}{4}$

Is it right now or have I done something wrong? :eek:

evinda said:
I changed this:
Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \frac{\pi}{2}\cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d\phi=a^4\frac{\pi}{4}$

Is it right now or have I done something wrong? :eek:

It is right now! (Wink)

I like Serena said:
It is right now! (Wink)

Nice..thank you very much! :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
It is right now! (Wink)

I am looking again at the exercise... Is it maybe like that:

$$ds= \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}$$

? Or am I wrong? :confused: (Blush)

I found that $\displaystyle{ \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}=\frac{a}{z}}$..

evinda said:
I am looking again at the exercise... Is it maybe like that:

$$ds= \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}$$

? Or am I wrong? :confused: (Blush)

I found that $\displaystyle{ \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}=\frac{a}{z}}$..

What you write is correct, but I don't quite see how you might solve the problem with it.

I think you are referring to the formula:
$$\iint g(\overrightarrow R)d\sigma = \iint g(\overrightarrow R) \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}dA$$
But this formula only works for integrating a scalar function $g(\overrightarrow R)$ over a surface given by $f(\overrightarrow R)=0$.

Instead, in this problem, a vector function has to be integrated. (Doh)

Related to Calculating Flux of Vector Field on a Spherical Surface

1. What is the flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a given surface. It represents the amount of fluid, energy, or particles passing through the surface per unit time.

2. How is the flux of a vector field calculated?

The flux of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector to the surface, and then integrating this dot product over the surface. This can be expressed mathematically as ∫∫S F ∙ dA, where F is the vector field, dA is the differential area element, and S is the surface.

3. What does a positive or negative flux value indicate?

A positive flux value indicates that the vector field is flowing out of the surface, while a negative flux value indicates that the vector field is flowing into the surface. This can also be interpreted as the direction of the flow of the vector field relative to the direction of the normal vector to the surface.

4. How does the shape and orientation of the surface affect the flux of a vector field?

The shape and orientation of the surface can greatly affect the flux of a vector field. For example, if the surface is perpendicular to the flow of the vector field, the flux will be maximized. If the surface is parallel to the flow of the vector field, the flux will be zero. The orientation of the surface also affects the sign of the flux value.

5. What is the physical significance of flux?

The physical significance of flux is that it represents the amount of a physical quantity (such as fluid, energy, or particles) that is passing through a given surface. This can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.