Calculating Fluid Displacement in a Multi-Fluid System

In summary, the block of wood floating in water has a volume of (.01m)^3. The oil layer is only 4 cm below the top of the block, so we can assume the mass of the fluid displaced is (.5 kg). If the block were floating only on the water, it would be submerged 50%.
thunderbug
i seem to be stuck on a problem which involves fluids of 2 different densities, and an object floating in/on them. A block of wood is floating in a jar of water. oil is then poured onto the water. how can i calculate the mass of "the fluid displaced" when it is composed of 2 different fluids, and i have no idea how large the jar is? i don't think i should average their densities, but i keep getting a wrong result.

for a floating (partially submerged) object, i can see that
FB = mg = (fraction submerged) (weight of fluid displaced by entire object)

= (fraction) (rho of fluid * Volume of object * g)

i have used this to find the fraction of an object which is above or below the surface. how can i change it to apply to 2 fluids with 2 different densities?

the specifics given:
rho(wood) = 500 kg/m^3
rho(oil) = 600 kg/m^3
v(wood) = (.01m)^3
question asks how deep oil layer is when it is 4 cm below the top of the block.[/CODE]
PHP:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an engineering whiz, but isn't the shape of the block an essential element? Normally, the shape would be irrelevant, since bouyancy acts on the volume/mass, and is independent of shape. But you need to know when it is 4cm out of the water - a linear measurement.

If the block were 1 cm^2 and 1m tall, you would have a very different answer than if it were 100cm^2 and 5cm tall.

Do we assume it is a cube?

Also, when you say the block of wood has a volume of (.01m)^3, I can interpret that two ways:
.01m is equal to 1cm; 1cm^3 is 1 cubic cm
or
.01m^3 could be read as 1/100th of a cubic meter; which is 10000 cubic cm.

Something tells me this isn't about decimals. I'm going to assume the block is a cube.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and propose that the cube is not supposed to be .01m^3 (this would make the cube 21.544379972138894748806069367288cm on a side).
Nor it is supposed to be 1cm^3, since it could never float 4cm out of the water.

I'm going to say the cube is supposed to be 0.001m^3 - making it 10 cm on a side (and incidentally having a volume of 1 liter and a mass of 0.5kg).

Last edited:
sorry if i was unclear, yes, the block is .01m per side, and a cube. and yes, the mass would be 0.5 kg. am i correct in saying that if this block were floating only on the water, that it would be submerged 50% ?

wow. sorry. 0.1 m per side, yes 10 cm per side, etc.

Related to Calculating Fluid Displacement in a Multi-Fluid System

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them. It is concerned with understanding how fluids behave and how they interact with their surroundings.

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, and is dependent on the volume of the displaced fluid and the density of the fluid.

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is used to explain why objects float or sink in a fluid and to calculate the buoyant force acting on them.

How does density affect buoyancy?

Density is a key factor in determining buoyancy. An object with a higher density than the fluid it is in will sink, while an object with a lower density will float. This is because the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object in the second case, causing it to rise to the surface.

What is the difference between positive and negative buoyancy?

Positive buoyancy occurs when an object is less dense than the fluid it is in, causing it to float. Negative buoyancy occurs when an object is more dense than the fluid and will cause it to sink. Neutral buoyancy occurs when an object has the same density as the fluid, causing it to neither sink nor float and remain suspended in the fluid.