Calculating Final Velocity with Acceleration: Space Shuttle Example

In summary, the space shuttle undergoes an acceleration of 53.2 meters/second^2 and after 55.2 seconds, it will be traveling at a speed of 53.2 x 55.2 = 2933.44 meters/second. To find the final velocity, we can use the equation a = (vf-vi)/t and assume that the initial velocity, vi, is 0. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for vf, which is equal to a x t.
short_tarts

Homework Statement

The space shuttle undergoes an acceleration of 53.2 meters/second^2. How fast is it traveling at the end of 55.2 seconds?

Homework Equations

not sure?

The Attempt at a Solution

All i really need is the set up. I've gone through a page of equations in my physics book, and couldn't find anything - which of course could be me just missing it entirely.

Physics news on Phys.org
If an object gains 53.2 m/s of speed every second, how fast is it going after one second? After two seconds? After 3 seconds? After 55.2 seconds?

As far as looking for equations goes, you want to find an equation that contains an "a" for acceleration, a "v" for final velocity (could be a Vf) , a "t' for time.

Also you want to be aware that initial velocity is assumed to be zero (might be a "u" or Vo).

Please be aware that your problems do not get any easier than this one. Don't give up, you get the knack for it after practice.

thank you! and thank you for the heads up, see what happened was i asked my friend and asked basically what you told me and he said he didnt think it was that (and he had taken physics last year).

thanks again :)

short_tarts said:
thank you! and thank you for the heads up, see what happened was i asked my friend and asked basically what you told me and he said he didnt think it was that (and he had taken physics last year).

thanks again :)

Acceleration is change in velocity per unit time.

[tex]a=\frac{v_f-v_i}{t}[/tex]

if you assume vi=0 then, how would you get vf?

Related to Calculating Final Velocity with Acceleration: Space Shuttle Example

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities and t1 and t2 are the initial and final times.

3. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some real-life examples of acceleration include a car speeding up to merge onto a highway, a roller coaster going down a steep drop, and a rocket launching into space.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. An object with a positive acceleration will speed up, while an object with a negative acceleration will slow down. A change in direction occurs when acceleration is not in the same direction as the object's velocity.

5. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger force will result in a larger acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.