Calculating Film Thickness: Interference Fringes with L = 500nm Incident Light

• Thread starter phalanx123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fringes
In summary, the conversation discusses the interference fringes observed when light of wavelength 500nm is incident at a 30o angle on a dielectric film with refractive index 2 supported on a planar substrate. The thickness of the film is unknown and is being calculated using a formula that takes into account the phase difference due to path difference and reflection from a hard surface. The conversation also mentions that the film is assumed to be planar and explains how successive minima occur when the film and substrate are moved along the perpendicular. Finally, a formula is provided to calculate the thickness of the film based on the observed angular separation of the minima.
phalanx123
1. Light of wavelength L = 500nm, produced by an extended source, is incident
at an angle of 30o from the normal upon a dielectric film of refractive index n = 2
supported on a solid planar substrate. Reflectivity minima are observed to have an
angular separation of 0.05 radians. What is the thickness of the film?

I got a little confused because I thought that if the film have same thickness and horizontal and the incident light is at a constant angle than there wouldn't be any inteference fringes. They would either all be constructive, destructive or somewhere in between because the condition (phase difference/path difference) for each light ray is the same. Or have I misunderstood the geometry of the question? Is it that the film is laying horizontal and the light all incident at the same angle of 30o and interference fringes were created with angular separation of 0.05 rad between successive minima? I am so stuck on this question could somebody help me please

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason why interference will not occur.

Note that it is amplitude splitting case...

a part of the incident ray is reflected from the film surface

The other part goes inside...gets reflected from the base(supported on the planar hard surface) and emerges from the upper surface of the film.

So, there would be a phase difference: phase difference due to path difference + due to reflection from a hard surface (pi)

Then you get the requisite formula. Use this formula to get the minima...and find the angular difference in the successive minima...

I hope that will do.

From the context, it is clear that the film is assumed planar.Otherwise,they would not ask for the thikness.

Hi neelakash, I know that inteference will occur in such occasion what I meant was how fringes would occur i.e. both maxima and minima occur at same time. Because what I thought was that if all the light rays are incidenting at the same angle and the film have a constant thickness than the path differences between the reflcted and the refracted-than- reflected ray are same for every incident ray so that if one such pair is destructive than it would be same for all the incident ray and so it would be destructive everywhere. I don't see how fringes would form? Thanks

Successive minima happen when you move the film+substrate along the perpendicular.

iirc since a phase change occurs on the top surface, for destructive;
Using 2ndcosΘ'=mλ
n being the refractive index of the thin film
d being the thinkness you are looking for
Θ' being the angle wrt normal of the ray in the thin film
m is you minima seperation
λ is wavelength.

Hope that helps.

Related to Calculating Film Thickness: Interference Fringes with L = 500nm Incident Light

What is the purpose of calculating film thickness using interference fringes?

The purpose of calculating film thickness using interference fringes is to determine the thickness of a thin film layer on a substrate. This technique is commonly used in materials science and engineering to measure the thickness of coatings, films, and layers on various surfaces.

How is the film thickness calculated using interference fringes?

The film thickness is calculated by measuring the distance between interference fringes, which are formed when incident light reflects off the top and bottom surfaces of the thin film layer. By knowing the wavelength of the incident light and the refractive index of the film, the film thickness can be determined using the equation t = (mλ)/(2n), where t is the thickness, λ is the wavelength, n is the refractive index, and m is the number of fringes.

What is the significance of using 500nm incident light in this calculation?

The incident light wavelength of 500nm is commonly used in this calculation because it falls in the visible light spectrum and is easily measurable with standard equipment. Additionally, this wavelength is commonly used in thin film measurements and has a known refractive index value for many materials.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of film thickness calculations using interference fringes?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of film thickness calculations using interference fringes include the angle of incidence of the light, the quality and reflectivity of the film surface, and any impurities or defects in the film. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate measurements.

What are some other methods for measuring film thickness?

Other methods for measuring film thickness include using ellipsometry, profilometry, and spectroscopic techniques such as reflectance and transmittance measurements. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific properties of the film being measured.