Calculating Fgrav at a non-point mass

• Thread starter diminion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for calculating gravitational force at a non-point mass, including the use of a diagram and integration. The equations for dF and dF_x are also given, along with the concept of symmetry in determining the y-component of force. The individual asking the question also seeks clarification on the use of sinθ and the reason for F_y being equal to 0.
diminion

Homework Statement

Hello! I signed up about week ago, in case i needed some help in physics, and today i do. I Hope someone can explain this to me a little better.

Anyways, yesterday we started the chapter on gravitation. Our professor layed out eight steps we should follow to calculate the Fgrav at a non-point mass. They were,

1. Draw a diagram
2. Pick a small chunk (dm)
3. Draw a line from dm to the 2nd mass
4. Draw a force vector starting at the 2nd mass
5. Calculate dF created between dm and the 2nd mass
6. Check symmetry
7. Calculate remaining components of dF
8. Integrate

attachment.php?attachmentid=16584&d=1227681212.gif

Homework Equations

He gave us the following:

[tex]dF\ =\ G\frac{dm M_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

Which he broke down into components,

[tex]dF_{x}\ =\ G\frac{dm M_{2}}{r^{2}}cos\theta[/tex]

and

[tex]F_{y}\ =\ 0[/tex] by symmetry.

The Attempt at a Solution

When i went home, i proceeded to find dFx
[tex]dm\ =\lambda dl[/tex]

[tex]\lambda\ =\frac{M}{L}[/tex]

[tex]r\ =\sqrt{(R^{2}+l^{2})}[/tex]

[tex]cos\theta\ =\frac{R}{\sqrt{(R^{2}+l^{2})}}[/tex]

[tex]dF_{x}\ =\ G\frac{\lambda dl M_{2}}{(R^{2}+l^{2})}\frac{R}{\sqrt{(R^{2}+l^{2})}}[/tex]

[tex]F_{x}\ = \int dF_{x}\ =2\int^{\frac{L}{2}}_{0} \ G\frac{\lambda dl M_{2}}{(R^{2}+l^{2})}\frac{R}{\sqrt{(R^{2}+l^{2})}}[/tex]

[tex]F_{x}\ = 2 \ G\lambda M_{2}R\int^{\frac{L}{2}}_{0}\frac{dl} {(R^{2}+l^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]

Now to finish this up, it seems to me like trig substitution. Is that the correct way to proceed with he integral?
My main question that i don't understand is, What does he mean "by symmetry"? I first assumed he was going to use [tex]sin\theta[/tex] for Fy but he didnt. Why is Fy=0?
Thanks for any help you can give me about the symmetry part.

Attachments

• diag.GIF
    diag.GIF
    1.5 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
diminion said:
My main question that i don't understand is, What does he mean "by symmetry"? I first assumed he was going to use [tex]sin\theta[/tex] for Fy but he didnt. Why is Fy=0?
Thanks for any help you can give me about the symmetry part.
Since M2 is symmetrically located with respect to your extended mass, the y-components of force from the upper half will be exactly equal and opposite to the y-components from the lower half. Thus, "by symmetry", you know they will cancel out. Of course you can certainly work it out using sinθ, but you'll get the same answer.

Oh, i see that. Thanks for that clarification!

Related to Calculating Fgrav at a non-point mass

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force at a non-point mass?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force at a non-point mass is Fgrav = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is the universal gravitational constant (G) determined?

The universal gravitational constant (G) is determined through experimental measurements, such as the Cavendish experiment, which involves measuring the gravitational force between two known masses at a known distance.

3. Can the mass of an object affect the gravitational force at a non-point mass?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect the gravitational force at a non-point mass. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force on other objects.

4. Is the distance between two objects a factor in calculating the gravitational force at a non-point mass?

Yes, the distance between two objects is a crucial factor in calculating the gravitational force at a non-point mass. The force of gravity decreases with distance, so the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational force.

5. How does the gravitational force at a non-point mass compare to the force at a point mass?

The gravitational force at a non-point mass is calculated using the same formula as the force at a point mass. However, the force at a non-point mass may vary at different points on the object's surface due to its varying mass distribution, whereas the force at a point mass is constant at all points on the object.