Calculating Error in Quadrature Equation: y=10^x with dx and dy Values

• Thread starter Jack_O
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an equation in the form y=10^x and trying to find the associated error in y. The person has an error in x, dx, and has tried using dy=10^dx and dy=x-dx to find the error in y, but neither seem to work. They are then given a hint to differentiate, and eventually find the error in y to be 10xln(10)dx.
Jack_O
I have an equation in the form y=10^x, i have an error in x, dx. I am unsure how to find the associated error in y. dy=10^dx gives to small an error and dy=x-dx doesn't seem logical as a smaller error in x gives a bigger error in y.

(The actual equation is d=10^((m(v)-M(v)+5)/5), i have already have errors for m(v) and M(v) and have combined them by using sqrt(dM(v)^2+dm(v)^2), the equation is used for calculating cosmoligical distances).

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack_O said:
I have an equation in the form y=10^x, i have an error in x, dx. I am unsure how to find the associated error in y.

Hi Jack_O! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: just differentiate … if y = 10x, then dy = (what)dx ? :wink:

Hi tiny-tim, doesn't bode well that i had to look up the differential of 10x:frown:

Anyhoo i know get my error in y as 10xln(10)dx, which gives me a much more reasonable answer, thanks for your help:smile:

Jack_O said:
Hi tiny-tim, doesn't bode well that i had to look up the differential of 10x:frown:

Hi Jack_O! :smile:

Quick trick: 10x = (eln10)x = exln10 :wink:

Related to Calculating Error in Quadrature Equation: y=10^x with dx and dy Values

1. What is a "quick quadrature question"?

A quick quadrature question refers to a mathematical problem that involves calculating the area under a curve or surface. It is often used in integration and numerical analysis.

2. How is a "quick quadrature question" different from a regular quadrature question?

A quick quadrature question is typically simpler and faster to solve compared to a regular quadrature question. It often involves using numerical methods or approximations instead of exact calculations.

3. What is the purpose of solving a "quick quadrature question"?

The purpose of solving a quick quadrature question is to accurately calculate the area under a curve or surface, which can be used in various scientific and engineering applications. It also allows for quicker and more efficient calculations compared to traditional methods.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve "quick quadrature questions"?

Some common techniques used to solve quick quadrature questions include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gauss-Legendre quadrature. These methods involve dividing the area into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating their individual areas.

5. Is it possible to solve a "quick quadrature question" without using numerical methods?

In some cases, it is possible to solve a quick quadrature question without using numerical methods. This typically requires the function or curve to have a simple analytical form, such as a polynomial or trigonometric function. However, for more complex functions, numerical methods are often necessary to obtain an accurate solution.