Calculating equivelent resistance and equivelent capaictance

• Thread starter FaraDazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses two parts of a problem involving calculating effective resistance and capacitance in series and parallel circuits. Part A involves calculating the total resistance, while Part B focuses on the total capacitance. The conversation also includes a discussion about the correct method for solving the problem and a clarification about the number of capacitors in parallel.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Below is a link to the problems, A and B.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/28bgqao.jpg

Homework Equations

For series:
R=∑R_i
1/C=∑ 1/C_i

For Parralell
1/R=∑ 1/R_i
C=∑ C_i

The Attempt at a Solution

I usually don't have any problems when it comes to calculating effective resistance, its only in capacitance, but as I always assumed as its the same principle but in reverse (i.e. the equation for capacitance in series is the same as for resistance in parallel and vice versa) I am not sure why so would greatly appreciate your input into what I am doing wrong.

Part A:
Top Branch:
[itex]
(\frac{1}{12}+\frac{1}{27})^{-1}+(\frac{1}{48}+\frac{1}{4})^{-1}+33=45Ω
[/itex]

Bottom Branch:
[itex]
18+54+(\frac{1}{11}+\frac{1}{16})^{-1}=78.52Ω
[/itex]

Total:
[itex]
(\frac{1}{45}+\frac{1}{78.52})^{-1}=28.61Ω
[/itex]For Part B:
Top Branch:
[itex]
2 + 20 + (\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{35})^{-1} = 32.98 \mu F
[/itex]

Bottom:
[itex]
37+11+43=91 \mu F
[/itex]

Total:
[itex]
32.98+91=123.98 \mu F
[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FaraDazed said:
For Part B:
Top Branch:
[itex]
2 + 20 + (\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{35})^{-1} = 32.98 \mu F
[/itex]
Take another look at what is going on in this line.

NascentOxygen said:
Take another look at what is going on in this line.

Well if I have done part A correctly, my thinking was..

Looking at the bottom branch of part A alone, 18 and 54 were simply added because they're are in series, and then because 11 and 16 are in parallel I had to take the reciprocal of the reciprocals of 11 and 16 added together .

So what I did then for the top branch of part B (the bit you quoted). As 2 and 20 are in parallel, simply add them, and because 16 and 35 are in series, I took the reciprocal of the reciprocals of 16 and 35 added together. The same as above but in reverse.

FaraDazed said:
So what I did then for the top branch of part B (the bit you quoted). As 2 and 20 are in parallel, simply add them, and because 16 and 35 are in series, I took the reciprocal of the reciprocals of 16 and 35 added together. The same as above but in reverse.
Once you have added 2 and 20, you are faced with a string of 3 capacitances in series.

NascentOxygen said:
Once you have added 2 and 20, you are faced with a string of 3 capacitances in series.

Sorry I hope I am not being stupid/blind; just taking the top brance of part B, I can only see two, the 16 and 35 on either side of the 2 and 20 in parallel as indicated in the pic below.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/34g4v1h.jpg

What is the equivalent of 2 and 20 in parallel? Redraw the circuit with a single capacitor in place of those pair. What does it look like now?

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
What is the equivalent of 2 and 20 in parallel? Redraw the circuit with a single capacitor in place of those pair. What does it look like now?

Ahhh right, I get it now, I think. Because once the the 20 and 2 are added together they become like as if it were just one there and then that would become the other one in series with the 16 and 35?

So it would be like.Top Branch:
[itex]
(\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{2+20}+\frac{1}{35})^{-1} = 7.32 \mu F
[/itex]

Bottom:
[itex]
37+11+43=91 \mu F
[/itex]

Total:
[itex]
7.32+91=98.32 \mu F
[/itex]

FaraDazed said:
Total:
[itex]
7.32+91=98.32 \mu F
[/itex]
Looking good.

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
Looking good.

Thanks for your help. Do you know if my answer for the resistance one is correct?

FaraDazed said:
Do you know if my answer for the resistance one is correct?
The method is right. I haven't checked your arithmetic.

NascentOxygen said:
The method is right. I haven't checked your arithmetic.
OK thanks for your help.

Related to Calculating equivelent resistance and equivelent capaictance

1. What is equivalent resistance and why is it important?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in a series or parallel arrangement. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and calculate the total current and voltage in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in series?

To calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in series, you simply add up the individual resistances. The total resistance is equal to the sum of all the resistors in the circuit.

3. How do you calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel?

To calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel, you use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances. Then, you take the reciprocal of this value to get the equivalent resistance.

4. What is equivalent capacitance and how is it different from equivalent resistance?

Equivalent capacitance is the total capacitance of a circuit when multiple capacitors are connected in a series or parallel arrangement. It is different from equivalent resistance because, in a series circuit, the equivalent capacitance is less than the individual capacitances, while in a parallel circuit, the equivalent capacitance is greater than the individual capacitances.

5. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in series and parallel?

To calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in series, you use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, etc. are the individual capacitances. Then, you take the reciprocal of this value to get the equivalent capacitance. To calculate equivalent capacitance for capacitors in parallel, you simply add up the individual capacitances to get the total capacitance.