Calculating equilibrium point of a network of springs

In summary, the person is trying to find a way to calculate the equilibrium position of a network of springs that are built as follows: n number of springs with identical k constant, but with different resting lengths are connected together at one end of each spring. The other end of each spring is fixed to some point in 3d space - meaning, that position cannot change by the spring, only the end that is connected to all the other springs can move. Now, if I move the fixed positions of all/some of the springs, how can I calculate the resting (equilibrium) position in space of the point in which all springs are connected?
o_z
Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to calculate the resting position of a network of springs that is built as follows: n number of springs with identical k constant, but with different resting lengths are connected together at one end of each spring. The other end of each spring is fixed to some point in 3d space - meaning, that position cannot change by the spring, only the end that is connected to all the other springs can move.
Now, if I move the fixed positions of all/some of the springs, how can I calculate the resting (equilibrium) position in space of the point in which all springs are connected?

Thanks in advance,
Ofer

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the "floating point". Each spring yields a force with an x component , a y component, and a z component. If we sum all the x components, we get the net force in the x direction. Likewise for y & z.

For the "floating point" to be in equilibrium, the net force in each direction (x,y,z) should be zero. Therefore we have three equations that we have to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_equations" :

Net force in x direction = 0
Net force in y direction = 0
Net force in z direction = 0

We have three equations and three unknowns (the coordinates of the floating point). Therefore we can solve these equations to get the equilibrium position of the floating point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note however that not all solutions are valid equilibrium points.

For example consider the case where the fixed points are distributed on a circle with equal angular spacings. Then if the springs are under tension, the centre of the circle is an equilibrium point. However if the springs are in compression, then the centre point, though a solution to the equations above, is not a valid equilibrium point since it is unstable. What determines whether a solution to the above is a true equilibrium point is whether the point corresponds to a minima of the total potential energy of the system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_total_potential_energy_principle" )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies!

The basic problem I'm having is: how do I know the force that each spring yields if I don't know the equilibrium point? What I mean is, I know the force's strength, but not it's vector. So how can I solve those equations without knowing the different x,y and z elements of the force?

In the mean time, I've written a simplified spring network solver for this specific case, that seems to solve the issue for my needs. But I'm still interested in knowing if there's a way to calculate that without simulation.

Thanks,
o

Hi Ofer,

Calculating the equilibrium point of a network of springs can be achieved through a combination of mathematical equations and computer simulations. The first step would be to define the physical properties of the system, such as the number of springs, the k constant, and the resting lengths of each spring, as well as the fixed positions of the springs in 3D space. This information can then be used to create a mathematical model of the system, which can be solved using techniques such as Hooke's law and the principle of superposition.

Additionally, computer simulations can be used to visualize and analyze the behavior of the network of springs. By inputting the physical properties and fixed positions of the springs, the simulation can calculate the equilibrium point of the system and display it graphically. This can also be useful in predicting the behavior of the system when the fixed positions of the springs are moved.

In summary, calculating the equilibrium point of a network of springs involves a combination of mathematical modeling and computer simulations. By accurately defining the physical properties and fixed positions of the springs, the resting position of the point where all springs are connected can be determined. I hope this helps in your research. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Related to Calculating equilibrium point of a network of springs

1. How do you calculate the equilibrium point of a network of springs?

To calculate the equilibrium point of a network of springs, you need to use Hooke's Law and the principle of superposition. Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. By applying this law to each spring in the network and using the principle of superposition, you can find the overall force and displacement at the equilibrium point.

2. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that the total force or displacement in a system of multiple springs is equal to the sum of the individual forces or displacements. This principle allows us to analyze complex systems of springs by breaking them down into simpler components and then combining the results to find the overall equilibrium point.

3. Are there any assumptions made when calculating the equilibrium point of a network of springs?

Yes, there are a few assumptions that are typically made when calculating the equilibrium point of a network of springs. These include assuming that the springs are all ideal and have the same spring constant, neglecting the effects of friction and air resistance, and assuming that the system is in static equilibrium (not moving).

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium point of a network of springs?

The equilibrium point of a network of springs can be affected by several factors, including the spring constants of each individual spring, the number of springs in the network, the length and orientation of each spring, and any external forces acting on the system. Temperature and other environmental conditions can also play a role in determining the equilibrium point.

5. Can the equilibrium point of a network of springs be changed?

Yes, the equilibrium point of a network of springs can be changed by altering the parameters of the system, such as the spring constants or the number of springs. Additionally, applying external forces or displacements can also shift the equilibrium point. However, the equilibrium point will always be the point at which the net force and displacement in the system is zero, regardless of any changes made.