Calculating Equilibrium Angle for Charged Sphere on Silk Fiber

• Thread starter nateastle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a small .4g sphere is attached to one end of a silk fiber 8cm long, with the other end attached to a large vertical insulating sheet with a surface charge density of 25 X 10^-6 C/m^2. The sphere is repelled outward and reaches equilibrium. To find the angle the fiber makes with the sheet, the forces of gravity and the colomb force must be calculated. Using the equations Tcos(theta) = mg and Tsin(theta) = qE, the angle can be found by taking the atan of the answer. To calculate E, the surface charge density is divided by 2e0, with e0 being 8.85 X 10^-12, and then
nateastle
a small .4g sphere carries a charge of 3 X 10^-10 and is attached to one end of a silk fiber 8cm long. The other end of the fiber is attached to a large vertical insulating sheet that has surface charge density equal to 25 X 10 -6 C/m^2. The sphere on the end of the fiber is repelled outward and finally reaches a state of equilibrium. Find the angle that the fiber makes with the vertical sheet.

Okay here is what I have done. I know I need to get the tan of theta. What I did is I calculated out the 2 forces. There is gravity which is Tcos(theta) = mg and there is the colomb force which is Tsin(Theta) which is qE. From there I am getting confused on what I should do next. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good start. You realize that this is a static force analysis problem.

Let's assume that the insulating sheet is on the right and the sphere is being repelled to the left. Breaking it down into x and y components:

x-axis:
- Electric force pushing to the left (Felectric)
- String tension pulling to the right (Fstring)

y-axis:
- Gravity pulling down (Fgrav)
- String tension pulling up (Fstring)

How many unknowns do we have and can we solve with the number of equations available? We know that we have two equations, one in x: Fnet_x = 0, and similiarly in y: Fnet_y = 0. There are two unknowns, the angle theta and the string tension T. You're on the right track ^^.

P.S. You'll also need to know that the electric field due to a large sheet charge is uniform everywhere and equal to [tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex] and of course, the Colomb force is then simply Fe = qE as you have mentioned.

nateastle said:
a small .4g sphere carries a charge of 3 X 10^-10 and is attached to one end of a silk fiber 8cm long. The other end of the fiber is attached to a large vertical insulating sheet that has surface charge density equal to 25 X 10 -6 C/m^2. The sphere on the end of the fiber is repelled outward and finally reaches a state of equilibrium. Find the angle that the fiber makes with the vertical sheet.

Okay here is what I have done. I know I need to get the tan of theta. What I did is I calculated out the 2 forces. There is gravity which is Tcos(theta) = mg and there is the colomb force which is Tsin(Theta) which is qE. From there I am getting confused on what I should do next. Any help is much appreciated.

[tex]T\cos\theta = mg[/tex]

[tex]T\sin\theta = qE[/tex]

[tex]tan\theta = \sin\theta/\cos\theta[/tex]

Seems to me you have everything you need.

AM

okay so if I am correct I would take the atan of my answer and get about 6.2 degrees is this correct?

nateastle said:
okay so if I am correct I would take the atan of my answer and get about 6.2 degrees is this correct?
You will have to show us how you got E.

AM

I got E by [tex]\sigma[/tex] = 25 * 10^-6 C/m^2 then I took that and divided by 2e0 with e0 being 8.85 *10^-12 I took that answer(1.4 * 10^6) and multiplied it by the charge of the ball which is 3 X 10^10 C which gave a force of 4.23 X 10^-4.

Related to Calculating Equilibrium Angle for Charged Sphere on Silk Fiber

What is the Columb force?

The Columb force, also known as the electrostatic force, is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is named after the scientist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb who first described it in the 18th century.

What are the factors that affect the strength of the Columb force?

The strength of the Columb force is affected by two main factors: the distance between the charged particles and the magnitude of their charges. The force increases as the distance decreases and as the magnitude of the charges increases.

How is the Columb force calculated?

The Columb force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation for calculating the Columb force is F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What are some real-life applications of the Columb force?

The Columb force is responsible for many phenomena in our everyday lives, such as the attraction between opposite poles of a magnet, the repulsion between two similarly charged balloons, and the transmission of signals in electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in the structure and function of atoms and molecules.

How does the Columb force differ from other fundamental forces?

The Columb force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. Unlike gravity, which only affects massive objects, the Columb force acts on all charged particles, regardless of their mass. Additionally, the strength of the Columb force is much stronger than the other fundamental forces, except for the strong nuclear force which only operates at very small distances.