Calculating Electromagnetic Force on a Moving Wire

In summary, the question addresses calculating the value of emf when a wire is accelerated perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field. The wire's length is given to be 20cm and its acceleration is 0.002m/s2. The Earth's magnetic field is 20μT. The question also clarifies that there is no steady-state current in the wire, but there is a buildup of charge at both ends due to the acceleration. The solution involves calculating the wire's speed after one hour and using the formula for induced emf in a wire moving perpendicularly to a magnetic field with a velocity perpendicular to both the field and the wire's length.
FerN61

Homework Statement

A wire of length L=20cm travels with an acceleration a=0.002m/s2 perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field (B=20μT). Considering that the wire starts from rest, calculate the value of the emf (electromagnetic force) when an hour has gone by.

Homework Equations

My question: Is current being induced in the wire by the magnetic field?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I first need to calculate a magnetic flux.

So I got the speed after one hour:

V=Vo+at = 0+3600(.002) = 7.2 m/s

Then, magnetic fied for a finite wire:

B=(μ0 I /4 pi r) 2*∫cos (opposite angle) from 0 to pi/4

20μT= (√2 μ0 I )/ 4 pi r

141.42 = I / r = (dq/dt) / r

I'm thinking since the magnetic field is perpendicular, there is a centripetal acceleration and I can get the radius from there, but I got stuck, and I'm not even sure if the previous work is right. I don't really know how tho get the magnetic flux if the wire is moving, and I thought an area was needed, but this is just a wire. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
FerN61 said:

Homework Statement

A wire of length L=20cm travels with an acceleration a=0.002m/s2 perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field (B=20μT). Considering that the wire starts from rest, calculate the value of the emf (electromagnetic force) when an hour has gone by.

Homework Equations

My question: Is current being induced in the wire by the magnetic field?

In a sense, yes. Since the wire is accelerating, a continuous buildup of charge occurs at both ends of the wire. But it has nothing to do with answering the question. For this question the answer is No.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I first need to calculate a magnetic flux.

So I got the speed after one hour:

V=Vo+at = 0+3600(.002) = 7.2 m/s

Then, magnetic fied for a finite wire:

B=(μ0 I /4 pi r) 2*∫cos (opposite angle) from 0 to pi/4

Whoa. There is no steady-state current in the wire. This formula is totally inappropriate here. We are not looking at a B field set up by the wire. The B field is set up by the Earth.

You have an open wire with no current, far as you're concerned. What is the expression for induced emf in a wire of length L when it's moving perpendicularly to the B field with a velocity perpendicular to B and L?

Related to Calculating Electromagnetic Force on a Moving Wire

1. How do you calculate the electromagnetic force on a moving wire?

To calculate the electromagnetic force on a moving wire, you will need to use the formula: F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the wire, v is the velocity of the wire, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. What is the relationship between the velocity of the wire and the electromagnetic force?

The velocity of the wire has a direct impact on the electromagnetic force. As the velocity increases, the force also increases. This is because the force is directly proportional to the velocity in the formula F = qvBsinθ.

3. How does the angle between the wire and the magnetic field affect the electromagnetic force?

The angle between the wire and the magnetic field, represented by θ in the formula, plays a significant role in calculating the electromagnetic force. If the wire is perpendicular to the magnetic field (θ = 90°), the force is at its maximum. If the wire is parallel to the magnetic field (θ = 0°), the force is at its minimum.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electromagnetic force?

The unit of measurement for electromagnetic force is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for measuring force in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field impact the electromagnetic force on a moving wire?

The strength of the magnetic field, represented by B in the formula, has a direct impact on the electromagnetic force on a moving wire. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the force also increases. This is because the force is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength in the formula F = qvBsinθ.