Calculating Electric Potential Difference for Machinery Operation

In summary, the conversation discusses a generator with an output of 240V that is intended to operate machinery at a distance. The question is asked about finding the potential difference (PD) across the cables carrying the current, which have a total resistance of 5.0Ω, and whether the machinery will operate at 25A. The solution is calculated to be a PD of 115V and it is mentioned that the question does not provide enough information to specify the exact makeup of the machinery.
andy.tsang

Homework Statement

A generator has an output of 240V. It is intended to operate machinery some distance away. If the machinery has to operate on 25A and the cables carrying the current have a total resistance of 5.0Ω. find the PD across the ends of the cables. Will the machinery operate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

240 - PD = 5*25
PD= 240-125=115V

not sure if my answer is correct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
andy.tsang said:

Homework Statement

A generator has an output of 240V. It is intended to operate machinery some distance away. If the machinery has to operate on 25A and the cables carrying the current have a total resistance of 5.0Ω. find the PD across the ends of the cables. Will the machinery operate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

240 - PD = 5*25
PD= 240-125=115V

not sure if my answer is correct?

Thanks in advance!

Your result is correct.

Hi,
I'd like to know what is inside the machine that make sure the machine operate at 25A?
I mean how can we assure that the machine will operate at 25A.

anhnha said:
Hi,
I'd like to know what is inside the machine that make sure the machine operate at 25A?
I mean how can we assure that the machine will operate at 25A.

The question doesn't give enough information to specify precisely the makeup of the machinery. You have to "take it as given" that the machine draws 25A.

If you were to interpret the question to mean that the machinery is supposed to draw 25A at 240V, you might surmise that it is a resistive load of 240V/25A = 9.6Ω. But "machinery" often implies that there's a motor involved, which would imply that at least part of the load is inductive in nature (motors have windings to produce magnetic fields). If the load is purely inductive you could determine its impedance (reactance) if it is assumed to draw an apparent current of 25A at 240V.

How you interpret the given information depends upon the context of the coursework: course level and material covered in the course.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I wanted to understand the meaning of these given information in reality.

Thanks Gneill and Anhnha.

Related to Calculating Electric Potential Difference for Machinery Operation

What is Electric Potential Difference?

Electric Potential Difference, also known as Voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field.

How is Electric Potential Difference measured?

Electric Potential Difference is measured using a voltmeter, which measures the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for Electric Potential Difference?

The unit of measurement for Electric Potential Difference is the volt (V).

What factors affect Electric Potential Difference?

The factors that affect Electric Potential Difference include the amount of charge, the distance between the two points, and the type of material the charges are moving through.

How is Electric Potential Difference related to Electric Current?

Electric Potential Difference is directly related to Electric Current, as it is the driving force that causes charges to flow through a circuit. The higher the Electric Potential Difference, the greater the flow of current.