Calculating Electric Force on q3 in Meters: A Superposition Approach

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the (x,y) axis in meters and the calculation of Fx3 and Fy3 using the superposition method and breaking it down into x and y components. However, there was an error in the submission as the incorrect number of significant figures was entered, leading to an incorrect answer.
veevee
(x,y) axis in meters

q1=60microC (0,1)
q2=-34microC (2,0)
q3=13microC (2,2)

Fx3=? Fy3=?

i used superposition
F(net on 3)=F13+F23

broke it down into x and y components
Fx=(kq1q3/r13^2)(x/r13)
Fy=(kq1q3/r13^2)(y/r13) - (kq2q3/r23^2)

plugging in the numbers i got
Fx=1.3
Fy=-0.4

mastering physics says its wrong, and I can't seem to figure out where I went wrong...any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for r13, r23, x, and y ?

Be careful regarding the direction of the forces.

r13=sqrt(x2+y2)=sqrt(4+1)=2.2m

r23=2m

x=2
y=1

It might be simply too much round-off error.

(sqrt(5))2 = 5

2.22 = 4.84

the problem was i was entering 1 sig fig not 2 for Fy lol...online homework submissions...they'll waste your time for the simplest reasons..thanks though :)))

Related to Calculating Electric Force on q3 in Meters: A Superposition Approach

1. What is the electric force on q3?

The electric force on q3 is the force exerted on the charge q3 by the other charges in the system. It is a vector quantity that is dependent on the magnitude and direction of the other charges, as well as the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the electric force on q3?

The electric force on q3 can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant known as the permittivity of free space.

3. What factors affect the electric force on q3?

The electric force on q3 is affected by the magnitude and sign of the other charges in the system, as well as the distance between them. Additionally, the electric force is inversely proportional to the permittivity of free space, so this can also affect its strength.

4. How does the electric force on q3 compare to the other forces in the system?

The electric force on q3 is one of the fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. In most cases, the electric force is much stronger than the other forces, except for strong nuclear force at very short distances.

5. Can the electric force on q3 be repulsive or attractive?

Yes, the electric force on q3 can be either repulsive or attractive, depending on the sign of the charges involved. Like charges will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract each other.