Calculating Electric Flux Through a Rectangle

Thank you for the reassurance and welcome!In summary, the electric flux through a 6m by 4m rectangular area can be determined by multiplying the electric field, [7;1] N/C, by the normal vector, [1;6], and the area, [24;144] m^2, resulting in a value of 312 Nm^2/C. This is the correct method for calculating electric flux.
vegeta_ban

Homework Statement

Determine the electric flux through a 6m by 4m rectangular area. The area is oriented such that a vector normal to its surface points in the [1;6] direction. The electric field is [7;1] N/C.

Homework Equations

Φ=E·A=EA*cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

[7;1]N/C*[24;144]m2=312 Nm2/C

I did this is wrong, right? How should i go about solving this, doesn't the electric flux equal the dot product of the electric field and the normal vector multiplied area. Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you did it wrong? It looks right to me.

Welcome to PH Forums.

Your answer looks right !

i always second guess myself, it's a problem I missed the day we learned about EF because of a funeral and I've been playing catch up ever since.

Your approach is correct, but your calculation is incorrect. The electric flux is a scalar quantity, so it should not have units of Nm2/C. The correct calculation would be:

Φ = E · A · cosθ = [7;1] N/C · [6;4] m2 · cos(θ)

Where θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector, which in this case is 90 degrees since they are perpendicular. Therefore, cos(θ) = 0 and the electric flux through the rectangle is 0.

In general, the electric flux through a surface is given by the formula Φ = ∫∫E · dA, where the integral is taken over the entire surface. In this case, since the electric field is constant over the entire surface, the integral simplifies to Φ = E · A, which is what you used in your calculation.

Related to Calculating Electric Flux Through a Rectangle

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength (E) by the area (A) perpendicular to the field. The formula for electric flux is ΦE = E x A.

3. What is a rectangle?

A rectangle is a quadrilateral shape with four sides and four right angles. It has two pairs of equal sides and opposite sides are parallel to each other.

4. How is the electric flux through a rectangle calculated?

The electric flux through a rectangle is calculated by breaking the rectangle into smaller squares and calculating the electric flux through each square. The flux through the entire rectangle is then calculated by summing up the flux through each square.

5. What factors can affect the electric flux through a rectangle?

The electric flux through a rectangle can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the size and orientation of the rectangle, and any other objects or charges present in the surrounding area that may alter the electric field.