Calculating Electric Field Strength from a Charged Wire

In summary, the electric field strength 30.0 cm from a very long charged wire is 94.32 N/C. This was found by first using the formula E=KQ/R^2 to solve for the charge, and then using that value to find the electric field strength using E=KQ/R^2 again. However, since the wire is not a point charge, integration is required to get the correct answer.
kmikias

Homework Statement

The electric field strength 8.05 cm from a very long charged wire is 1310 N/C. What is the electric field strength (in N/C) 30.0 cm from the wire?

Homework Equations

E=F/Q
E=KQ/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I try to find the charge using E=KQ/R^2
1320=K(Q)/(8.05)^2
Q= 9.432 x 10^-6

second I used the charge to find the electric field.
E= k(9.432 x 10^-6)/30^2
E= 94.32 N/C

I didn't convert cm to m because it would cancel out at the end.
so I don't know why my answer is still wrong.Any help will be great.
thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming the wire is a point charge, which it is not. You would have to integrate:
2 (Integral from 0 to infinity) kdq/r^2
I hope you know what to do from there

Related to Calculating Electric Field Strength from a Charged Wire

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the force that a charged particle would experience at a particular point in space due to the presence of an electric field.

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength can be calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. It can also be calculated by dividing the potential difference between two points by the distance between those points.

What is a charged wire?

A charged wire is a conductor that has an excess or deficit of electrons, causing it to have a net electric charge. This charge can create an electric field around the wire.

How does a charged wire create an electric field?

A charged wire creates an electric field because the excess or deficit of electrons creates a difference in potential energy. This difference in potential energy causes electric charges to experience a force, resulting in an electric field.

Can the electric field strength from a charged wire be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength from a charged wire can be negative if the direction of the force on a positive test charge is in the opposite direction of the electric field. This means that the electric field is pointing towards the wire, rather than away from it.