Calculating Electric Field Strength for a Point Charge and Proton Interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric field strength for a positive point charge located 5.3x10^-4m away from a proton. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are provided, leading to a discussion about the difference between electric field and electric force. The conversation concludes with a clarification on how to calculate the magnitude of the electric field and the force experienced by another charge at the same location.
TomM

Homework Statement

(This was part of an assignment that we had to create, so the question is one of my own, although I'm not quite comfortable with this area, hence why I'm asking for help) Calculate electric field strength of a positive point charge of 1.3x10-7C that is 5.3x10-4m away from a proton (+1.6x10-19C).

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/25/2542612-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

As put into calculator:
(9e9)*(1.6e-19)*(1.3e-7) = 1.8e-18

(5.3e-4)^2 = 2.8e-7

(1.8e-18)/(2.8e-7) = 6.4e-12

6.4e-12 = Electric Field Strength?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
your question does not quite make sense. the electric field is a vector quantity that is assigned to locations in space, not to things like charges. The calculation you have done yields the electric force between the two charges, not the electric field.

eczeno said:
your question does not quite make sense. the electric field is a vector quantity that is assigned to locations in space, not to things like charges. The calculation you have done yields the electric force between the two charges, not the electric field.

Ok, so I should change the question to electric force? Or am I missing part of a calculation to give me electric field strength. Because, I've had trouble with this unit in my class for a while and I want to understand it. Isn't there a way to get electric field strength from electric force?

if you change the wording to electric force, everything works out and your calculation is correct.

if you would like to strengthen the question, and understand electric field a little better, let me suggest making it a two part problem.

1) what is the magnitude of the electric field a distance 5.3x10^-4m away from a proton?

this is a good way to see that the electric field is a property of a location in space. the electric field tells us what the force will be if we put a charge there, all we have to do is multiply it by that charge.

So, if the electric field is E at some point in space P, and you put a charge q at that point, it will feel a force F = qE.

That leads to part two of the question:

2) what force will a 1.3x10^-7C charge feel if put at this location?

cheers

eczeno said:
if you change the wording to electric force, everything works out and your calculation is correct.

if you would like to strengthen the question, and understand electric field a little better, let me suggest making it a two part problem.

1) what is the magnitude of the electric field a distance 5.3x10^-4m away from a proton?

this is a good way to see that the electric field is a property of a location in space. the electric field tells us what the force will be if we put a charge there, all we have to do is multiply it by that charge.

So, if the electric field is E at some point in space P, and you put a charge q at that point, it will feel a force F = qE.

That leads to part two of the question:

2) what force will a 1.3x10^-7C charge feel if put at this location?

cheers

Thanks! But, I'm still a little confused on how i would find the magnitude of the electric field. Would i do F=(kq)/r^2 rather than multiplying both 1.3x10^-7, 1.6x10-19C and 9x10^9?

yes, the magnitude of the electric field a distance r from a charge q is: E = kq/r^2 . (but call it E, not F, it is not a force).

to find the force another charge, Q, would feel at a distance r from q, multiply the field and the charge Q:

F = QE = kQq/r^2

eczeno said:
yes, the magnitude of the electric field a distance r from a charge q is: E = kq/r^2 . (but call it E, not F, it is not a force).

to find the force another charge, Q, would feel at a distance r from q, multiply the field and the charge Q:

F = QE = kQq/r^2

THANK YOU so much, i really appreciate it! I finally understand this, and I've been working on this in class for a couple weeks. Your great!

cheers

Related to Calculating Electric Field Strength for a Point Charge and Proton Interaction

1. What is Electric Field Strength?

Electric Field Strength, also known as Electric Field Intensity, is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point.

2. How is Electric Field Strength calculated?

Electric Field Strength is calculated by dividing the electric force acting on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge itself. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the electric force, and q is the test charge.

3. What are the units of Electric Field Strength?

The SI unit for Electric Field Strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C). However, other units such as volts per meter (V/m) are also commonly used.

4. What factors affect Electric Field Strength?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the source charge, the distance from the source charge, and the medium through which the electric field is passing. The direction of the electric field is also influenced by the direction of the source charge.

5. How is Electric Field Strength represented visually?

Electric Field Strength can be represented visually by using electric field lines. These lines point in the direction of the electric field and are closer together in areas of stronger electric field. The density of electric field lines can also indicate the strength of the electric field at a particular point.