Calculating Electric Field for an FM Antenna in an EM Wave

In summary, to find the electric field needed to produce a 1.28 mV voltage between the ends of a 1.10m long FM antenna oriented parallel to the electric field of an EM wave, we can use the equation V=E*d, where V is the desired voltage and d is the length of the antenna. This yields an electric field of approximately 1.16 mV/m. Other equations, such as u = EoErms^2 and I = uc, can also be used to find the electric field, but may require more calculations.
skibum143

Homework Statement

A 1.10m long FM antenna is oriented parallel to the electric field of an EM wave. How large must the electric field be to produce a 1.28 mV voltage between the ends of the antenna?

Homework Equations

u = EoErms^2
I = uc
Intensity = Power / area

The Attempt at a Solution

I found u to be 1.45E-17 using E0 and Erms of .00128V
Then I found I to be 4.35E-9
Then I found P to be 1.65E-8

I'm not sure I'm using the right equations to find the electric field, I don't really know what variable represents it?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about using the equation V=E*d?

yep, that's a lot easier. oops. thanks!

Related to Calculating Electric Field for an FM Antenna in an EM Wave

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within the field. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

What is an EM wave?

An electromagnetic (EM) wave is a type of wave that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. It is a form of energy that travels through space and can be characterized by its wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

How is an electric field created in an EM wave?

In an EM wave, an electric field is created by the oscillation of charged particles. These particles can be electrons, protons, or other charged particles. As the charged particles oscillate, they create a disturbance in the electric field, which then propagates through space as an EM wave.

What is the relationship between the electric field and magnetic field in an EM wave?

The electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave are perpendicular to each other and also perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This is known as the electromagnetic wave's polarization. The strength of the electric and magnetic fields is also directly related to each other and is determined by the wave's amplitude.

How does the electric field of an EM wave affect matter?

The electric field of an EM wave can interact with matter in several ways. It can cause charged particles within the matter to move, which can lead to the production of heat or light. It can also induce a current in conductive materials, which can be harnessed for various purposes such as powering electronic devices. The strength of the electric field can also determine how much energy is absorbed or reflected by the matter the wave encounters.